The Kipfler potato is just perfect for roasting as it crisps up beautifully and has a wonderful buttery nutty taste which is wonderful with the fresh herbs and tart lemon.
Preparing your Roasted Kipfler Potato Salad…
For the Kipfler Potatoes
As we are keeping the skins on for this salad it is essential that the potatoes are cleaned thoroughly.
1Under cold running water rinse them well.
2Then use a small scrubbing brush or sponge with a steel wool side for scrubbing all the dirt from them.
3Remove any sprouts, eyes or blemishes with a small knife and rinse them again.
4Cut them in half lengthwise and if they are too long cut them in half again.
5Arrange your potatoes flat in a lined baking tray. Drizzle with a ¼ cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
6 Place in the middle tray of your preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes at which point they would be starting to brown. Turn them around and cook for a further 20-30 mins until they are all golden and soft when tested with a fork.
For the herbs
1Rinse well in a colander under cold running water, then pat dry.
2Remove the parsley leaves from the stems by holding the stems and either use a chef’s knife to shave the leaves off with the blade pointing away from you. You can leave the more tender stems attached. For the basil just simply pick the leaves from the stems.
3 Gather the parsley leaves in the centre of your board. Start from on one side of the pile and cut through them making only a few deliberate cuts. Gather them again in a pile and cut through them again until roughly chopped.
4For the basil leaves cut them leaves into a chiffonade. To do this stack the leaves on top of each other, gently roll them into a cigar, and then use a sharp knife to slice them into thin ribbons.
ROASTED KIPFLER POTATO SALAD WITH HERBS
- 600 grams Kipfler potatoes
- ¼ bunch flat-leaf parsley
- ½ bunch basil
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F).
- Scrub the potatoes and wash them, remove any damaged parts, then cut them in half lengthwise and if they are too long cut them in half again.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper, arrange the potatoes flat on the tray and drizzle with a ¼ cup of the olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the middle tray of your oven for approximately 30 minutes at which point they would be starting to brown, turn them to brown on the opposite side.
- Cook for a further 20-30 minutes until they are all golden and soft when tested with a fork.
- While your potatoes are cooking, wash all your herbs, shake and pat dry to remove excess water. Chop the parsley and cut the basil chiffonade.
- Remove your potatoes from the oven once they are fully cooked and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining oil, lemon juice and herbs. Toss until combined, taste the salad and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Arrange in a salad bowl and serve.
The video in this recipe is courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.