Black Lentil Salad
This Black Lentil Salad is made wonderfully aromatic with fresh herbs and sweet tomatoes – a super easy salad to put together.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
- 1 cup dry black lentils 1 (2 cups boiled)
- 250 grams cherry tomatoes
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- ½ cup parsley (chopped)
- ½ cup mint (chopped)
- 1 red onion
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps lemon juice (approximately 1 lemon)
- 2 tsps Sumac
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
Place your lentils in a colander and rinse under cold running water. Then place in a medium-sized saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil and then simmer for 20-25 minutes. When your black lentils are cooked until tender, strain in a colander under cold running water, transfer to a mixing bowl.
In the meantime, wash your cherry tomatoes, pat dry with a towel then cut in half. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Wash your Lebanese cucumber, cut off the ends and then chop into small dice. Transfer to your bowl.
Remove the papery skin from your onion, cut off the ends and chop into small dice. Transfer to your bowl.
Once your lentils are cooked and cooled add them to your mixing bowl along with the parsley, mint, oil, lemon juice and sumac, season with salt and pepper. Mix the salad until all the ingredients are coated with the dressing.
Arrange the salad in a salad bowl and serve.
- Keep in mind that black lentils are a tougher lentil therefore they take longer to boil. If you are short on time you can always used canned lentils, but the black beluga lentils are much tastier in this salad.
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 360mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1255IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 5mg