Epic Heirloom Tomato Salad with Whipped Feta – Just So Easy
In this vividly coloured heirloom tomato salad, the tomatoes are truly the star, the creamy salty whipped feta is a perfect foil to the sweetness from the heirloom tomatoes. A quick yet tasty salad to enjoy with weekday meals.
Servings: 4 as a side
For the salad…
- 6 medium heirloom tomatoes (I used very ripe ox-heart tomatoes - approximately 850 grams/30 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (good quality)
- ¼ cup small basil leaves or micro basil
- Sea salt
For the whipped feta…
- 1 ½ cups feta (crumbled) (approximately 230 grams/8.10 ounces)
- ⅓ cup cream cheese (approximately 80 grams/2.8 ounces)
- ¼ cup basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Gently wash your ox-heart tomatoes, shake to remove the excess water, cut off the tops and bottoms then slice into wedges. Transfer to a bowl and season with some sea salt, to allow them to release their flavours.
Place the crumbled feta in a small food processor and pulse until smooth, add the chopped basil leaves, cream cheese and olive oil and pulse until smooth.
Smear the whipped feta on one side of a salad platter, pile the tomato wedges on one side, then drizzle over the olive oil and then scatter with the basil leaves. Serve immediately.
Calories: 438kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 700mg | Potassium: 574mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2420IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 323mg | Iron: 1mg