LOW CARB SALAD WITH 9.7 g NET CARBS
In this Leek Salad, tender baby leeks are cooked in balsamic vinegar until caramelised. They are then added to some crisp salad greens and roasted walnuts for some added crunch.
This salad pairs well with barbecued pork chops, or crispy roast pork belly.
This recipe is based on the classic Italian recipe, “Cippolini Agrodolce“ or sweet and sour cippolini onions.
- Salad Spinner
For the balsamic leeks…
- 250 grams baby leeks (approximatley 6-8 small)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
For the salad…
- 150 grams mixed salad leaves
- 1 cup roasted walnuts
For the vinaigrette…
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Trim the ends of the leeks, remove the tough outer layers and the dark green leaves, then discard. Cut the leeks in half and wash the leeks carefully to remove any dirt, allow to drain. Cut the leeks into 10 cm batons.
- Wash the mixed salad leaves then spin dry in a salad spinner until the excess water has been removed.
- Heat a large heavy based, non-stick frypan until hot, add the oil and add the leeks in batches until golden and soft. Once all the leeks have been cooked then add all the leeks back into the frypan, add the balsamic then cook until caramelised. Allow to cool.
- Place the salad leaves in a mixing bowl add the dressing ingredients, then season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the salad leaves on a salad platter, arrange the leek mix on top, scatter with the roasted walnuts and serve.
The video is courtesy of Clean & Delicious.