Our Cantaloupe Melon Salad is a refreshing ode to summer, featuring a delightful mix of cantaloupe, green grapes, and blackberries, topped with a lemon juice dressing sweetened with a hint of brown sugar. It's effortless, versatile, and ideal for any occasion, whether it's brunch or a BBQ side.
Imagine a salad that sings the song of summer with every bite, a bowl filled with the tantalising dance of cantaloupe melon, green seedless grapes, and blackberries, all drizzled in a lemon juice dressing sweetened with a whisper of brown sugar.
This isn't just any salad; it's our Refreshing Cantaloupe Melon Salad, your go-to for a burst of freshness on a hot day, a healthy option that doesn't skimp on flavour, and a quick fix for any summer gathering or a lazy picnic day.
A quick and simple fruit salad, and honestly the hardest part about making this salad is chopping up the melon.
Its effortless blend of sweet and tangy makes it a versatile companion to any meal, be it a light brunch or as a standout side at your next BBQ.
Ingredients and Substitutions 📝
- Cantaloupe: A sweet and juicy base, perfect for refreshing summer salads. For variety, try substituting with honeydew, chunks of mango or nectarine/peach slices.
- Green Seedless Grapes: Add a crisp, refreshing crunch. Red grapes are a vibrant substitute.
- Blackberries: Their tartness contrasts beautifully with the melon. Blueberries or raspberries make a great alternative.
- Lemon Juice Dressing: Brightens the flavours; lime juice is a zesty substitute.
- Brown Sugar: Complements the fruits’ natural sweetness. Honey is an excellent alternative for a deeper flavour. Or maple syrup makes a great vegan sub.
Step-by-Step Recipe Instructions
This recipe really begins at your fruit shop, farmers market or supermarket as we are going to start by selecting a ripe cantaloupe melon—you're looking for that perfect, slightly sweet smell at the blossom end.
Step 1 - Whisk the Dressing
We are going to want to allow the brown sugar to dissolve completely before we drizzle it over our salad so let's start the show by whisking your lemon juice and brown sugar together.
After that, we'll let it sit for a bit to ensure the sugar dissolves completely.
Step 2 - Prep the Grapes and Berries
Next, it's blackberry time! Wash them gently, they are a tad sensitive and will bruise easily. They add a tart sweetness that contrasts beautifully with your melon and grapes.
Allow them to drain while we prep the grapes and melon.
Grab your green seedless grapes and give them a quick rinse. No chopping is needed, their burst of flavour comes perfectly whole.
Step 3 - Prep the Melon
Now comes the star of the show, our juicy sweet melon.
Halve it and scoop out the seeds with a spoon, and peel the skin off.
Give it a quick rinse under cold water to get rid of any seeds, then, chop it into bite-sized pieces.
Step 4 - Assemble Your Salad
Combine all your fruits in a large bowl and give your zesty dressing another little whisk then drizzle it over the fruit.
Gently toss to make sure every piece gets a bit of that sweet and tangy goodness.
Chill for about an hour before serving. This melds the flavours together and makes it a perfect cool treat for a hot day.
What Can I Serve This Salad With? 🍽
Our Cantaloupe Melon Salad is great for summertime entertaining!
- Imagine this refreshing cantaloupe salad as a healthy dessert option on a hot summer day, perfect with cool vanilla ice cream or frozen yoghurt.
- Serve it for brunch alongside some yoghurt, homemade granola, and a sprinkle of fresh mint.
- Pair this refreshing fruit salad with grilled meats or seafood at a barbecue for a sweet and savoury contrast, you might want to skip the lemon drizzle for this one.
- Pack it for a picnic, offering a portable and shareable treat for outdoor gatherings.
Common Questions and Tips
Can I prepare the Cantaloupe Melon Fruit Salad ahead of time?
- Yes, slice cantaloupe a day prior, and keep the grapes and blackberries chilled.
- We like to chill it for an hour just before serving to allow the flavours to meld together.
How do I store the leftover salad?
Store leftover fruit salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Consume it within 1-2 days for the best quality.
Can I customise the fruits in the salad to suit my preferences?
- Absolutely! Feel free to customise the fruit selection based on your preferences or what's in season, try mangoes, nectarines or peaches for a twist.
- For cooler months swap for dragon fruit in the autumn or try some pears or guava during the winter.
Is the his melon fruit salad suitable for a vegan or gluten-free diet?
Yes, the basic Cantaloupe Melon Fruit Salad is both vegan and gluten-free. However, always check specific ingredients and dressings to ensure they align with dietary preferences or restrictions.
Tips for Making this Salad
- Select the ripest cantaloupe for a naturally sweet base.
- Keep it chilled until just before you serve it.
- 850 grams cantaloupe/rockmelon (½ a melon, 30oz)
- 350 grams green seedless grapes (12.35oz, 2.5 cups))
- 250 grams blackberries (9oz, 2 cuos)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar*
- Whisk to dissolve the lemon juice and sugar, then let stand to allow the sugar to completely dissolve.
- Rinse the blackberries in a colander under gently running cold water and allow to drain while you are preparing the rest of your ingredients.
- Wash the grapes, shake dry and remove from the stems.
- With a large spoon scoop out the seeds of your melon then cut your melon into quarters.
- Then using a sharp knife remove the rind (you should just have the light orange flesh remaining).
- Rinse the melon under cold water to remove any seeds, shake dry then dice into bite sized chunks.
- Place all the fruit into a large mixing bowl, give the dressing one more whisk, pour over and mix the fruit in the dressing.
- Arrange in a salad bowl and chill until ready to serve. Great with vanilla yoghurt or ice cream.