Make your own preserved lemons and add some Middle Eastern zing to your salads, it will give them a concentrated lemon flavour without any sour tartness.
To use preserved lemons in your salad make sure you scoop out the soft flesh and keep to use in your next tagine, casserole or sauce, then finely chop the soft peel before adding to your salads.
- 4 unwaxed lemons (scrubbed and cut into quarters)
- 4-6 lemons 1 juiced
- 4 tbsps coarse sea salt 1
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- Place 1 tablespoon of the coarse sea salt into a sterilized jar.
- In a mixing bowl add the quartered lemons, lemon juice, sea salt and spices and mix well.
- Add the mix to your sterilised jar, press down hard on the lemons to release of much of their juice as possible. Top up with additional lemon juice if required, all the lemons must be covered otherwise they may develop mould. Wipe the jar clean from the lemon juice and salt.
- Seal the jar and leave in a cool, dark place (not the fridge) for at least a week (ideally one month) for the lemons to mature.
- Once mature store in your fridge.
- makes one small jar
- you may need some more depending on the size of your lemons