This mixed salad makes it so easy to follow good eating practices by making you “eat a rainbow” as it is chock full of a colourful mix of healthy vegetables.
In this rainbow mixed salad, the mustard emulsifies with the olive oil, giving this dressing a slightly creamy texture, a wonderful partner to the colourful mix of vegetables in this salad.
This is a good all-round salad that is great with absolutely all types of protein - from red meat, poultry and seafood and any sort of cooking style, barbecues, roasts, casseroles or stews.
Why “eat a rainbow”?
Eating a rainbow is a simple way of ensuring that you get a wide variety of fruits and vegetables in your diet, so your body gets all the essential nutrients that it needs.
Each vibrant colour has its own unique health benefits and we’ve got you covered in this rainbow mixed salad…
Oxheart Tomatoes = Red Food good for your heart and blood health and they support joint function.
Carrots = Orange & Yellow Food reduces the risk of cancer and heart disease, improve digestion and your eyesight and immune system.
Savoy Cabbage = White Food supports immunity and the circulatory system and can reduce the risk of cancer.
Mixed Leaves & Cucumber = Green Foods are good for your bones, as well as detoxing the body and strengthening your immune system.
Red Onion = Blue & Purple Foods help with mineral absorption and can improve your memory and brain function.
How to make rainbow mixed salad
1Prep your veg
Wash your cabbage, remove the core and shred finely using a mandoline/v-slicer or with a large knife, until you get 3 cups (200 grams).
Rinse, trim and peel your carrot and cucumber, cut them in half lengthwise and slice on the diagonal (thinly for the carrots).
Wash your salad leaves remove any damaged or wilted leaves and either pat dry or spin dry in a salad spinner to remove excess water.
Trim and remove the papery skin from your onion and cut into thin slices.
Rinse your tomatoes, remove the core and cut into wedges.
2Make the dressing
Put your oil, lemon juice, mustard, a pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper in a glass jar.
Shake until emulsified.
3Assemble your salad
Place all your salad vegetables in a large mixing bowl, season generously with salt and pepper.
Pour over your dressing and toss gently until everything is well coated with the dressing.
Arrange in a salad bowl, serve and enjoy!
Make ahead tips
- You can make the dressing up to a week ahead and keep it in the fridge, or why not make a big batch to use for other salads or even as a marinade for chicken or pork fillets.
- Shred your cabbage 3-4 days in advance and keep it in a container covered with water in your fridge. Just make sure you rinse it thoroughly as it will have a slight cabbagey smell to it.
- You can also cut your carrots and keep them covered in water in your fridge 3-4 days in advance. Just strain the carrots well before adding to your salad.
- This mixed salad can be made several hours in advance just add the dressing just before serving.
- It is also good the next day, it will just lose its crunch.
- A great salad for your lunchbox as well, just keep the dressing separate.
Keen to try some more salad recipes...
- Mandoline / V-Slicer
- Salad Spinner
- ¼ Savoy cabbage (200 grams or 3 cups shredded)
- 130 grams carrot (1 large)
- 150 grams Lebanese cucumber (2 small)
- 60 grams mixed salad leaves (2 cups tightly packed)
- 400 grams oxheart tomatoes (or truss or heirloom) (2 medium)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tsps wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- Wash your cabbage, remove the core and shred finely until you get 3 cups (200 grams).
- Rinse, trim and peel your carrot and cucumber, cut them in half lengthwise and slice on the diagonal (thinly for the carrots).
- Wash and dry your salad leaves, trim and remove the papery skin from your onion and cut into thin slices. Rinse your tomatoes, remove the core and cut into wedges.
- Put your dressing ingredients in a glass jar, season and shake until emulsified.
- Place all your salad vegetables in a large mixing bowl, season generously with salt and pepper. Pour over your dressing and toss gently until well combined.
- Arrange in a salad bowl, serve and enjoy