A mushroom salad partnered with an Italian favourite – Gremolata, chock full of B vitamins, rich in protein that is also low carb.
The earthy mushrooms are elevated from basic to sublime with the addition of Gremolata we have also added some nutty hazelnuts and a zingy lemon dressing to really bring your taste buds to life.
With this salad there is no need to miss out on flavour just because you are following a special eating plan – it is gluten and dairy-free, low carb, keto, vegan, vegetarian and paleo-friendly.
What is Gremolata?
Gremolata is thought to have originated from the French word gremolade, it is a quintessential Italian herby condiment that is made with parsley, lemon zest and garlic. It was Traditionally used to brighten Osso Bucco Alla Milanese and to combat the richness of the meat braised slowly for hours.
Gremolata is to Italian cuisine what Chimichurri is to Argentine cuisine or a Persillade is to French cuisine and is used, to brighten a stew, top a steak or stir through some pasta.
For a successful gremolata, you must use the freshest ingredients available. Vibrant and bright green parsley, firm aromatic lemons and pungent garlic. So, leave your limp parsley, shrivelled lemons and soft garlic to use in something else.
[Image – ingredients]
How to make hazelnut gremolata…
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and arrange your nuts on top so they spread out evenly and are not touching.
- Place the tray with the nuts in the middle of your oven and roast for 10-15 minutes until the skins have blistered. Stirring occasionally so that they brown evenly, your nuts should be golden brown and fragrant.
- Remove them from the oven, then wrap your nuts in a clean kitchen towel and let them steam for one minute.
- Rub them in the towel until most of the skins peel off and allow them to cool completely.
- Then place the nuts in a food processor and pulse a couple of times until slightly crumbled.
- Add the chopped parsley leaves, minced garlic and the lemon zest in the food processor bowl with the nuts and blitz until well combined
ROAST NUTS UNTIL BLISTERED
PLACE IN A TEA TOWEL & STEAM 1 MINUTE
RUB HAZELNUTS TO REMOVE SKINS
DISCARD THE HAZELNUT SKINS
PLACE HAZELNUTS IN FOOD PROCESSOR
BLITZ UNTIL SLIGHTLY CRUSHED
ADD THE REST OF THE GREMOLATA INGREDIENTS
BLITZ UNTIL COMBINED
Preparing your mushroom salad…
The best mushrooms to use raw in a salad are button mushrooms and white caps as they hold their firm shape and become little sponges for all the flavourful ingredients we will be adding.
- There is really no need to peel your mushrooms if they are fresh and firm all you need to do is place them in a large bowl full of water and submerge and agitate them in the water for a few minutes.
- Allow the water to settle so all the dirt sinks to the bottom, lift them out into a colander (do not empty them into the colander as you will also be emptying the dirt back onto them).
- Place them in a clean kitchen towel and pat dry.
- Cut off the bottom from the stems and then slice either with a knife or pop them in your food processor and slice with the slicing attachment.
- Place your sliced mushrooms, gremolata, lemon juice and oil in a large mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper, toss until the mushrooms are well coated with the dressing and the gremolata is evenly distributed throughout. Taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Arrange in a salad bowl and chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
- This salad tastes better the longer you leave it as the mushrooms will absorb the flavours from the gremolata and lemon juice. The next day it is magic!
SUBMERGE MUSHROOMS IN WATER
REMOVE THEM BY HAND
STRAIN YOUR MUSHROOMS WELL
PAT YOUR MUSHROOMS DRY IN A TOWEL
CUTT OFF THE STEMS
OR PLACE IN FOOD PROCESSOR TO SLICE
FOOD PROCESSOR SLICED MUSHROOMS
PLACE YOUR INGREDIENTS IN A BOWL
MIX UNTIL WELL COMBINED
What to serve with your mushroom salad…
The fresh citrusy flavours in the gremolata pair well with the deep, rich flavours of a braise, smoked meat, roasts, a great side for steak or stir through the leftovers through pasta for a quick meal the next day.
This is a low carb salad with 4 grams of Net Carbs.
Raw Mushroom Salad with Hazelnut Gremolata
- Food Processor
For the salad…
- 500 grams white button mushrooms
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- sea salt & cracked black pepper
For the gremolata…
- 1 cup parsley leaves (roughly chopped and packed tightly)
- ⅔ cup Hazelnuts (roasted)
- 1 small garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (from 1-2 lemons)
To prepare the mushrooms…
- To quickly clean the mushrooms, gently submerge them in a bowl of water, agitate to get rid of the dirt, remove them and pat dry with a towel.
- Cut off the mushroom stems then slice thinly with a knife or use your food processor.
- Put all the ingredients for the hazelnut gremolata in a food processor and blitz until finely chopped but not pureed into a paste (you still want to see some hazelnut bits).
- Place your sliced mushrooms, gremolata, lemon juice and oil in a large mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper, toss until the mushrooms are well coated with the dressing and the gremolata is evenly distributed throughout.
- Arrange in a salad bowl and serve.