A divine sautéed fresh green beans recipe which makes a perfect side dish, that goes with just about everything and is ideal for any occasion – from weekday dinners to elegant dinner parties.
This sautéed fresh green beans recipe is easy, delicious, and nutritious and is simply made by sautéing the beans then adding roasted hazelnuts for some crunch and perfuming with some sweet orange.
Can I use other beans?
Any green beans are great for this recipe so feel free to replace your green beans any bean that takes your fancy.
- Snow peas which are flat with small peas inside and crunchy texture with a mild flavour
- Sugar snap peas are round with crunchy texture and very sweet flavour.
- Flat green beans/romano/Italian beans are long, tender, and flat they are crunchy when raw and tender when cooked.
- French green beans are very skinny and available in yellow and purple as well as green and have a sweet flavour and delicate texture.
- Chinese long beans (also known as snake beans or yard-long beans) are popular in Asian cuisines, they are slim so are easy to cook.
HOW TO ROAST HAZELNUTS
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and arrange your nuts on top so they spread out evenly and are not touching.
- Place the tray with the nuts in the middle of your oven and roast for 10-15 minutes until the skins have blistered. Stirring occasionally so that they brown evenly, your nuts should be golden brown and fragrant.
- Remove them from the oven, then wrap your nuts in a clean kitchen towel and let them steam for one minute.
- Rub them in the towel until most of the skins peel off and allow them to cool completely.
STEPS TO MAKING THIS SALAD
- Wash your green beans, top, tail them and remove the strings. Then cut into 5cm (2 inch) batons.
- Heat a large heavy-based pan to medium-high heat, add your oil and sauté the green beans until browned, (approximately 10 minutes) add the orange zest and stir until combined.
- In a glass jar add all the vinaigrette ingredients and shake well until emulsified.
- Place the beans and hazelnuts in a mixing bowl, pour the vinaigrette over the salad, season with salt and pepper and toss until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Arrange in a salad bowl, scatter with the reserved hazelnuts and serve.
Some serving ideas
Partners well with barbecued steak, chicken, turkey, seafood or even pasta dishes and is packable which means it is ideal to take to a barbecue or pot luck.
More bean recipes to try:
(Times are an estimate and will depend on your skill level)
- 600 grams green beans
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- Zest of 1 Orange
- ¾ cup hazelnuts, roasted (reserve a tablespoon for garnish)
- 3 tbsps orange juice
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- Wash your green beans, top, tail them, then cut them in half.
- Heat a large heavy-based pan to medium-high heat, add your oil and beans then season. Sauté the green beans until browned, (approximately 10 minutes) add the orange zest and stir until mixed through and aromatic.
- Add the orange and lemon juice, allow to sizzle and steam for 1-2 minutes so that beans can absorb the flavour. Then add the roasted hazelnuts and stir through the beans.
- Taste and adjust seasonings according to your liking. Arrange in a salad bowl, scatter with the reserved hazelnuts and serve while still warm.