In this vegan cucumber salad, we jazz up boring cucumbers with our delightfully zingy ACV and grainy mustard dressing. A speedy, super refreshing salad ideal for summer entertaining!
Is mustard vegan?
Mustard is made with mustard seeds, vinegar, salt and spices so almost always mustard IS vegan.
Some exceptions would be honey mustard as it is made with honey and some mustards made with white wine as some wine can be filtered with animal products. But these are usually in minuscule trace amounts.
I would recommend reading the labels before buying your mustard or why not make your own?
What cucumbers are best
Small seedless cucumbers are ideal for this salad such as Persian, Lebanese, English or Kirby cucumbers.
Regular cucumbers have tough skins and seeds that contain a lot of water, which will make your salad soggy and dilute the dressing.
What makes QukES OR CUKES different?
Adorable little qukes or cukes or quks are baby cucumbers that are either Persian or Lebanese varieties. They are picked when very small making them young and tender.
Extra crunchy with a crisp, mild skin and full of sun sweetened flavour that refreshes which makes them ideal for snacking on and for salads.
How to make this salad
1PREPARE YOUR CUCUMBERS & DILL
Wash and trim your cucumbers, cut them in half lengthwise and then slice on the diagonal. Wash and trim the qukes and then slice on the diagonal.
Wash your dill shake to remove excess water, pat dry completely, then finely chop.
2ASSEMBLE THE SALAD
Place cucumbers in a mixing bowl, add the mustard, ACV and oil, season with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Toss well to combine.
Taste and adjust seasonings according to your personal preferences.
Arrange in a salad bowl and serve.
Tips and Variations
- Some prefer to skin their cucumbers., but for this recipe, I left the skin intact for some added crunch and their vibrant green colour.
- Make the dressing ahead and keep it in a sealed container in the fridge just shake it up before pouring over your salad.
- Use any soft herbs that take your fancy - mint, basil and tarragon are also fantastic in this salad.
- Add some salty feta, some nuts or some white beans for some added protein.
Can I make it ahead?
- Well, that depends. If you like your cucumbers to have some crunch then no. But if you like your cucumbers to be soft and pickly then yes.
- Or enjoy It both ways by making a big batch and enjoying half with crunch and the other half with a tangy hit. The best of both worlds.
- This vinegar vegan cucumber salad will last up to 3-4 days in the fridge.
What to serve with vegan cucumber salad
This cucumber salad is the ideal side for BBQs it is quick and easy to make and is happy chilling in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
For vegan main meal options for this salad try a vegan nut roast or chickpea casserole or a with a vegan asparagus risotto.
Try it with Cajun chicken drumsticks or with chargrilled lamb backstraps.
The tanginess of this salad makes ideal with oily fish such as salmon, sardines or herring.
A wonderful salad to add to wraps or sandwiches with tinned tuna or cheese such as feta, tasty or cottage cheese.
Other Cool ? Cucumber recipes to try:
- 3 medium Lebanese cucumbers (approximately 450 grams)
- 1 sml pack of quks (approximately 250 grams)
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- 2 tbsps whole grain mustard
- 3 tbsps apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- Wash and trim your cucumber, cut them in half lengthwise and then slice on the diagonal.
- Wash and trim the qukes and then slice on the diagonal.
- Wash your dill shake to remove excess water, then finely chop.
- Place everything in a mixing bowl, add the mustard, ACV and oil. Season with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Toss well to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Arrange in a salad bowl and serve.