This Avocado & Mango Salad takes you out of your hot kitchen during sticky summer days. Pair it with a store-bought barbecue chicken and enjoy yourself with family and friends instead.
This is a wonderful and refreshing salad with just a few ingredients but so full of flavour – juicy mango, creamy avocado, sweet red capsicum and aromatic mint dressed in zesty lime and smooth avocado oil.
A great salad for those of you who are vegan, vegetarian or Paleo eaters.
The ingredients in this Avocado & Mango Salad
The two key ingredients in this salad are the avocado and mango and both are abundant during the summer months but it is important you choose the best.
To choose a ripe mango…
- Colour - there is no need to focus on this as it is not a good indicator of ripeness and will vary with each variety.
- Smell – a ripe mango will smell sweet, with a fruity aroma at the stem ends.
- Firmness – mangoes will soften as they ripen, look for soft but still firm fruit. If it is too soft it may be overripe you just want it to give slightly.
To choose a ripe avocado…
- Colour – Hass avocados are only varieties that change from green to black when they are ripe, all other types remain green when ripe.
- Firmness - make sure that your avocados are firm, heavy and on the large size as this usually means that there is more flesh than pit.
- Gently press around the stem and if it yields then the fruit is ripe.
So how do you make it?
Wash your rocket and mint leaves under cold running water and remove any damaged, wilted or yellowed leaves. Then either pat dry with a towel or spin dry in a salad spinner to remove all the excess water for a much tastier salad.
Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
2PREPARE REMAINING INGREDIENTS
Wash your mango and avocado on the outside, even though you will be peeling them, this prevents dirt, pesticides and bacteria from getting into the fruit.
Cut your mango and avocado into chunks, then squeeze some lemon juice on your avocado to prevent it from browning. Add to your bowl.
To prepare your capsicum, rinse it under cold water, then cut it in half and remove the core, seeds and inner ribs with a parring or any other small knife. Rinse under cold water.
Then place the glossy side of the capsicum face down (it is much easier to slice this way as your knife does not slip) then slice into strips (try it with a serrated knife it will glide easily through your capsicum).
Your strips should be 2 ½ cm (1 inch) in length.
Add to your bowl.
Pour your avocado oil and lime juice over the salad, season with some salt and pepper, toss until all the ingredients are well coated with the dressing.
Taste your salad and adjust the seasonings according to your taste.
Arrange in a salad bowl, scatter with the coconut flakes then serve and enjoy!
Make your Avocado & Mango Salad creamy instead
You can easily add some creamy deliciousness to this salad by adding in some luscious coconut yoghurt.
Instead of the avocado oil and lime juice, just add ¼ cup of your favourite coconut yoghurt with 2 tablespoons of lime juice, 1 tablespoon of avocado oil, season with some salt and whisk together in a small bowl.
Oh so wonderful, creamy and tastes just like a tropical holiday!
This is a quick and easy salad to put together but you can always cut your mango and capsicum, the day before and keep them covered in your fridge and simply cut up the avocado and assemble the salad on the day.
You can also wash your rocket/arugula the day before making sure that it is completely dry before storing it in your fridge to avoid it spoiling and collecting bacteria.
Make your dressing the day before so all that you need to do on the day is cut the avocado and toss it all together.
This salad is just as good to have for lunch the following day, provided you squeeze a bit more lemon on the avocado to prevent it from browning.
A great salad to compliment your summer barbecues or to serve with grilled chicken breasts.
It is just fantastic served with grilled fish such as salmon or any firm white fleshed fish. We served ours with a BBQ Barramundi with Chilli, Lemon & Coriander.
For an easy summer dinner serve it with a story-bought charcoal chicken.
Can I meal-Prep this salad
This salad can easily made and packed for lunches or picnics-
- make up the salad, ensure your rocket leaves have been dried thoroughly
- put the salad in a container with a lid
- put the dressing in a separate container
- add the dressing and stir through the salad just before you are ready to eat it
Try some more of our mango or coconut salads
- Salad Spinner
- 50 grams rocket (2 cups)
- 200 grams avocado (1 large)
- 200 grams mango (1 large)
- 120 grams red capsicum (pepper) (1 medium)
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 3 tbsps lime juice
- 2 tbsps coconut flakes
- Wash your rocket and mint leaves under cold running water. Then either pat dry with a towel or spin dry in a salad spinner to remove excess water. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Cut your mango and avocado into chunks, then squeeze some lemon juice on your avocado to prevent it from browning. Add to your bowl.
- Remove the core and seeds from your capsicum, then rinse under cold water, then slice into 2 ½ cm (1 inch) strips. Add to your bowl.
- Pour your avocado oil and lime juice over the salad, season with some salt and pepper, toss until all the ingredients are well coated with the dressing. Taste and adjust the seasonings according to your taste.
- Arrange in a salad bowl, scatter with the coconut flakes then serve and enjoy!