This mango fruit salad will add the flavours of the Caribbean to your table. The perfect dessert for a hot summers day, it is light and refreshing just what you need to cool down.
What I Love About Mangoes?
Nothing says summer than a wonderfully ripe and juicy mango. Their wonderfully sweet ambrosial flavour is a summer favourite in our family and just chock full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Mangoes are a great detoxifier and are known to increase liver and gall bladder function. Just one cup of this tropical delicacy will provide you 100% of your daily Vit C, 35% of your daily Vit A and 12% of your daily fibre!
How to Tell If Your Mango is Ripe
Colour is not the best indicator of ripeness so you can just ignore it.
- A ripe mango will give slightly so gently squeeze it to check for ripeness.
- Like all stone fruits (e.g. peaches, nectarines) mangoes will become softer as they ripen.
- Smell the stem ends as most ripe mangoes will exude a fruity aroma.
How to Cut A Mango for Fruit Salad
- Hold the mango upright, and starting 1cm out from the stem, cut off the two widest cheeks. If the knife runs into the pit, just start again a little further out.
- Now take each cheek and use the tip of the knife to cut in a crosshatch pattern through the flesh lengthwise, without cutting the skin.
- Either scoop out the mango flesh with a spoon or flip the mango inside out and push the cubes off with your thumb or a spoon.
- With the remaining sides on the mango pit, peel the skin and slice them off, following the curve of the pit, and then dice.
Can I Add Other Fruit?
We have kept our mango salad simple (why mess with mango perfection!) but feel free to add any fruit that takes your fancy. Some favourites to try:
- Mixed berries such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries.
- Other tropical fruit such as pineapple, papaya or dragon fruit.
- Add a bit of green with some kiwi fruit or fresh herbs such as mint or basil.
You Will Need
How to Make It
- DICE MANGO
Peel the mango, cut into dice and remove the pit.
- RINSE BERRIES
Rinse the berries in a colander under cold running water and gently pat dry.
Place all the salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
Place in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Serve chilled with refreshing lime or lemon sorbet to counteract the sweetness of the mangoes.
Can I Make it Ahead?
- This is a great salad to make several days in advance and keep chilled until you are ready to serve.
- I like to make a big batch to snack on throughout the week as a sweet treat!
More Fruit Salad Recipes
- 1200 grams mangoes (approximately 4 ripe mangoes – 42.33oz)
- 250 grams blueberries (approximately 2 small punnets – 8.82oz)
- 1 cup coconut flakes toasted
- 1 medium lime, juice
- Peel the mango, cut into dice and remove the pit.
- Rinse your blueberries in a colander under cold running water and shake dry.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Serve chilled with lime sorbet to counteract the sweetness of the mangoes.