Kale Mango Salad is a MUST try salad recipe that you will be making again and again. Ideal for pot lucks, barbecues, and weekday lunches.
This salad is UNBELIEVABLE!!! Softened kale, oh so sweet, juicy mango chunks, brilliant red pomegranate arils and crunchy pistachios drizzled with a dash of pomegranate molasses – YUM!!!!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Kale – forms the base for this salad and is ideal as it is long lasting. It may be replaced with other sturdy greens such as chard or silverbeet, crisp lettuce such as cos/romaine, or even some baby spinach or arugula/rocket.
Mango – to add a spot of colour and some wonderful sweetness to this salad. Choose your favourite variety but if you are unable to find any mangos try some peaches, nectarines or for cooler months try red apple or pear.
Avocado – added for its wonderful creaminess and healthy fats which boost the satiety of this salad. If you are not a fan just leave it out.
Pomegranate Arils – provide a spot of colour and some tartness here but if you are unable to find them try some blueberries or dried cranberries instead.
Pomegranate Molasses – used to finish off the salad and add some sweet yet tart flavour. It can be substituted with a balsamic glaze or just a drizzle of balsamic instead.
You Will Need
How to Make It
STEP 1 – Massage Kale
- Wash your kale under cold running water.
- Either rip the leafy parts of the kale from the ribs or cut them off with a knife, then discard the ribs.
- Finely shred your kale leaves.
- Place your kale leaves in a large mixing bowl, add some salt, oil and apple cider vinegar and gently rub the leaves together for approximately 3-5 minutes to soften kale for a more palatable salad.
- Please don’t overdo it, as you don’t want your kale to turn to mush.
STEP 2 – Cut Mango
- Hold the mango upright, and starting 1cm out from the stem, cut off the two widest cheeks. If the knife runs into the pit, just start again a little further out.
- Now take each cheek and use the tip of the knife to cut in a crosshatch pattern through the flesh lengthwise, without cutting the skin.
- Either scoop out the mango flesh with a spoon or flip the mango inside out and push the cubes off with your thumb or a spoon.
- With the remaining sides on the mango pit, peel the skin and slice them off, following the curve of the pit, and then dice.
STEP 3 – REMOVE POMEGRANATE ARILS
- Wash the pomegranate,,cut out the core and base then cut in half.
- Break each pomegranate half apart and remove the pomegranate arils, being careful to peel off all the skin.
STEP 4 – ASSEMBLE SALAD
- Wash, peel and dice avocado into bite sized chunks.
- Place the diced mango, pomegranate arils, diced avocado and crushed pistachios in the mixing bowl with the kale, season and mix well to combine.
- Arrange in a salad bowl and keep chilled until ready to serve.
Tips & Questions
How to Choose a Ripe Mango
Smell it at the stem end, it should have a wonderful fruity aroma. Gently squeeze it and should give slightly but if it is too soft it will be overripe.
Can I Use Frozen or Tinned Mango?
No, frozen mango is definitely not the way to go in this salad, as it will be a bit mushy once it thaws. However, tinned mango would work well, strain all the juice, taste and if it is a bit too sweet then rinse and dry it well.
Can I Make It Ahead?
This salad can be made several hours in advance and kept chilled in the fridge until ready to serve. Either squeeze lots of lemon juice on the avocado to prevent it from browning or cut it up and mix it through the salad just before serving.
What Can I Do With The Leftovers?
This salad is still great if kept in the fridge even after a few days.
What Diets Is It Suitable For?
More Mango Salad Recipes
- 6 cups kale, shredded (approx. 1 bunch g / 14 oz)
- 300 grams avocado approx. 1 large, 11 oz
- 700 grams mango approx. 2 medium, 25 oz
- 1 cup pomegranate arils approx. 1 medium
- ½ cup Pistachios
- ⅓ apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp Pomegranate molasses sugar free
- Wash the kale, trim and remove the stems, then shred finely, place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and apple cider vinegar and massage the kale until soften.
- Wash your mangos, peel,and cut into bite sized pieces, add to the kale.
- Remove the arils from your pomegranate, add to kale and mango.
- Peel and dice your avocado add to your bowl along with the crushed pistachios.
- Season the salad and mix well until combined.
- Arrange in a salad bowl and drizzle with the pomegranate molasses.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.