This bright arugula goat cheese salad is a wonderful all-purpose salad, that you can serve as a nutritious side or as a main with the addition of some grilled chicken or chickpeas.
A flavour-packed salad with peppery arugula combined with creamy avocado, sweet juicy oranges, tangy goats cheese, fresh thyme adding a slightly piney minty taste and to top it all off a wonderful zesty citrus vinaigrette.
This arugula goat cheese salad is gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly and can be served at almost every occasion from family meals, dinner parties. A salad that is great to take to a pot luck or barbecue as it pairs well with almost everything.
What can I serve with my arugula goat cheese salad?
Versatile and easy it pairs well with anything from steak, to grilled chicken, fish or grilled prawns. Try it with:
How to make arugula goat cheese salad
1Wash your arugula/rocket
Wash the baby arugula (rocket) and remove any wilted and damaged leaves. Either pat or spin dry in a salad spinner to remove excess water, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
2 Prepare the rest of the ingredients
Peel the oranges, remove the pith and seeds, then dice, transfer to your mixing bowl and add the chopped thyme. Peel the avocado remove the pit and cut into slices, transfer to your bowl.
3Make the vinaigrette
Add all your vinaigrette ingredients to a glass jar and shake until emulsified.
4 Assemble your salad
Pour half the vinaigrette over the salad, season with salt and pepper, toss until combined. Arrange in a salad bowl and crumble the goat cheese on top. Serve immediately.
some tips for making this salad
- This arugula goat cheese salad can be prepared ahead of time, with the vinaigrette added just before serving.
- You cannot store this salad and it is best eaten once it has been dressed.
- There is enough citrus vinaigrette for two salads try it with a fennel salad or for a zesty coleslaw.
Try some more arugula (rocket) salad recipes
- Salad Spinner
- 4 cups baby rocket (arugula) (approximately 120 grams)
- 1 avocado (approximately 200 grams)
- 2 oranges (approximately 260 grams)
- 50 grams goats cheese
- 2 tbsps fresh thyme (approximately 1 bunch with leaves removed from stalk and roughly chopped)
- ⅓ cup olive oil extra virgin
- ½ tbsp lemon zest (approximately the zest from 1 lemon)
- ½ tbsp lime zest (approximately the zest from 1 lime)
- ½ tbsp orange zest (approximately the zest from 1 orange)
- ½ tbsp mandarin zest (approximately the zest from 1 mandarin)
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 2 tbsps lime juice
- ½ tbsp orange juice
- ½ tbsp mandarin juice
- Wash the baby rocket and remove any wilted and damaged leaves Either pat or spin dry in a salad spinner to remove excess water, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Peel the oranges, remove the pith and seeds, then slice into wedges, transfer to your mixing bowl and add the chopped thyme.
- Peel the avocado remove the pit and slice, transfer to your bowl.
- Add all your dressing ingredients to a glass jar and shake until emulsified.
- Pour half the vinaigrete over the salad, season with salt and pepper, toss until combined. Arrange in a salad bowl and crumble the goats cheese on top. Serve immediately.
- This is enough dressing for two salads, keep the remaing dressing in a glass jar in your fridge to use on another salad it will keep for 4-5 days.
- I have adjusted the nutritional panel to reflect this.