Get all your major nutrients in one bowl of deliciousness with this Broccoli Slaw, this salad is a healthy version of coleslaw using whipped avocado instead of boring unhealthy mayo.
The beautiful creamy texture of the avocado pairs beautifully with the crunchy broccoli, carrots and capsicum while the roasted pecans add a nice nutty flavour.
This recipe is gluten-free and is also suitable for keto diets, paleo, vegan and vegetarian diets as there are no animal products used.
How to make broccoli slaw from scratch…
- Trim any woody stem ends or tough leaves from your broccoli with a knife and break into bite-sized florets, each with a short stem. Slice the thicker stems, thinly into small matchsticks, (2 ½ cm / 1 inch in length).
- Place the broccoli florets and matchstick stems in a colander, then rinse them under cold water. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Using a sharp knife cut off the tops and bottoms of your carrots, peel then rinse under cold water.
- Either grate your carrots coarsely or use a julienne peeler to cut into fine julienne. (your julienne strips should be 2 ½ cm (1 inch) in length. Transfer to your bowl.
- To prepare your capsicum, cut it in half and remove the core, seeds and inner ribs with a parring or any other small knife. Rinse under cold water.
- Then place the glossy side of the capsicum face down (it is much easier to slice this way as your knife does not slip) then slice into strips (try it with a serrated knife as it is much easier). Your strips should be 2 ½ cm (1 inch) in length.
- Remove the pit of both avocados and cut into chunks, place one avocado in your food processor and the other on a plate.
- Squeeze some lemon juice on top of the avocado on the plate to prevent browning and leave to one side. We are going to prepare the avocado mayo next and add it to the broccoli first.
CUT RED CAPSICUM
How to roast nuts…
Pecans are a buttery nut and roasting them deepens their flavour (like with all nuts), which partners beautifully with the broccoli and creamy avocado in this healthy slaw salad.
I like to roast my nuts in the oven as it toasts the nuts more evenly than in a frypan.
It also lets me get on with doing something else instead of having to watch the pan constantly.
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and arrange your nuts on top so they spread out evenly and are not touching.
- Place the tray with the nuts in the middle of your oven and roast for 8-10 minutes. Stirring occasionally so that they brown evenly, your nuts should be golden brown and fragrant.
- Remove from the oven and transfer immediately to a cold plate to stop the cooking process.
How to prepare your avocado mayo…
Avocado mayo is a wonderfully rich and creamy alternative to mayonnaise and has all the rejuvenating and antioxidant powers that avocados are famous for.
Along with the natural detoxification properties of the broccoli and the beta carotene in carrots, this salad is packed full of nutrients.
You can use this healthy mayo in place of ordinary mayonnaise.
You can also mix it up and use lime juice instead of lemon, add a garlic cove or even a pinch of chilli powder.
- Add your oil, lemon juice, water and a pinch of salt to the avocado chunks that you have already placed in your food processor or blender.
- Blitz until smooth and creamy. It should have a slightly runnier consistency than mayonnaise this allows the broccoli florets to be easily coated. Add more water, if necessary, for the desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste, you may need to add a bit more lemon juice or salt at this point.
Putting your Broccoli Slaw together…
- Pour your avocado mayo over the vegetables in your bowl, season with salt and pepper. Mix well until all the vegetables are well coated.
- Add the avocado chunks and mix gently
- Arrange your salad in a salad bowl.
- Scatter the toasted pecans on top to garnish and serve.
Tips on making this salad…
You can easily prepare all your vegetables (except for the avocado as it will brown) the day before.
Alternatively, if you are short on time you can easily just buy a pack of bagged broccoli slaw mix and just add the avocado mayo and nuts for a super-fast salad for dinner.
The nuts can also be prepared several days or even a week in advance and kept in an airtight container in the fridge.
Also, any leftovers will keep covered in your fridge for a couple of days and are great for your lunchbox with some chicken or salmon fillets or you could even stir through some pasta.
What to serve with this salad…
Another great salad to serve at a barbecue especially good with grilled red meats and chicken.
Try some more of our brassica salads…
BROCCOLI SLAW WITH AVOCADO MAYO – RECIPE
- Julienne Peeler or Coarse Grater
- Bullet or High Speed Blender or Small Food Processor
For the salad…
- 300 grams broccoli (1 small head)
- 160 grams carrots (2 small)
- 200 grams red capsicum (bell pepper) (1 medium)
- 320 grams avocado (1 large)
- ½ lemon
- 1 cup pecans (roasted)
For the avocado mayo…
- 1 avocado (the flesh should be approximately 250 grams)
- 2 tbsps avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- 3 tbsps water
For the salad…
- Rinse and trim your broccoli and cut into bite-sized florets, cut the stems into small matchsticks (2 ½ cm / 1 inch in length), transfer to a bowl.
- Rinse, trim and peel your carrots, then grate coarsely or cut into fine julienne strips with a julienne grater or peeler (2 ½ cm / 1 inch in length) then add to your bowl.
- Remove the core and seeds from your capsicum and cut into small matchsticks (2½ cm / 1 inch in length) then add to your bowl.
- Cut your avocado in chunks, place on a plate and squeeze the juice from half a lemon on top to prevent browning. Place to one side.
For the avocado mayo…
- Place all the avocado mayo ingredients in a small food processor or blender, season with some salt, then blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Pour your avocado mayo on top of your vegetables, season then mix well until the vegetables are well coated.
- Add the reserved avocado chunks and mix gently, taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Arrange in a salad bowl, scatter the roasted pecans on top and serve.