These Honey Harissa Carrots are colourful, spicy and completely addictive, the perfect winter side to serve alongside your roast dinner or at your next winter potluck.
These harissa and honey-roasted carrots are the perfect combination of sweet and spicy flavours. The Harissa paste not only adds a delightful kick to the carrots but also infuses them with a comforting warmth.
While the honey caramelizes the carrots and to balance out the heat and sweetness, we sprinkle some crumbled feta on top, adding a touch of saltiness that brings all the flavours together beautifully.
Looking to add some delicious winter side dishes to your salad repertoire? Why not give our Sunchoke Arugula Salad or our Sweet Potato Cranberry Salad a try? These recipes are perfect for adding a burst of flavour to your winter meals.
What is Harissa,
and What Can I Use as a Substitute?
Harissa is a North African (Tunisian) blend made with chillies, spices, garlic and oil. You should be able to find it in the International food aisle at your supermarket or at a Middle Eastern specialty store. However, if you are unable to find it, try our Harissa recipe.
Alternatively, you may substitute with either sambal oelek or sriracha, as they both have the garlicky heat that the harissa paste adds. Then simply add ¼ teaspoon each of ground coriander and cumin powder to add the necessary spicy aroma.
Ingredient Substitutions and Variations
- Swap the Greens: Use some peppery arugula/rocket instead.
- Try a Different Cheese: For a creamier texture use some goat cheese or labneh. Or consider topping it with some whipped feta (just omit the basil).
- Use Another Root Vegetable: This salad also works just as well with roasted beets or parsnips.
- Switch the Baby Carrots: Instead of the Dutch carrots use a colourful bunch of rainbow carrots instead.
- Make it Vegan: By swapping the feta for some coconut yogurt or vegan Greek yogurt with some lemon zest stirred through.
- Consider Adding: some toasted nuts such as pine nuts, almonds or pistachios for some added crunch.
You Will Need
How to Make It (Step-by-Step)
Step 1 - Cook the Carrots.
Step 2 - Prepare the Remaining Ingredients.
Step 3 - Assemble Your Honey Roasted Carrots
🍽 Serving Suggestions
These fiery glazed carrots make the perfect side dish at your next dinner party alongside a roasted lamb shoulder, lamb leg, or pork belly.
Also great with grilled meats, and poultry and are sensational to serve alongside Greek-style beef stew with some warm flatbreads.
Alternatively, you can add some grilled chicken or chickpeas and transform it into a meal.
Tips and Questions (FAQs)
- Salad Spinner
- 500 grams baby/Dutch carrots (2 bunches approx. 18 oz)
- 1 tablespoon Harissa paste
- 4 tablesposon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 80 grams baby spinach leaves
- 40 grams feta (aproximately ¼ cup crumbled feta)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°C. Line a roasting tray with baking paper.
- Trim your carrots then scrub well in a colander under cold running water to remove any dirt. Place in your roasting tray.500 grams baby/Dutch carrots
- In your tray with the carrots add the Harissa, olive oil, honey and season with salt and pepper. Mix well until the carrots are well coated. Place in the middle section of your oven and roast the carrots until soft and golden (approximately 30 minutes), turning them halfway through.1 tablespoon Harissa paste, 4 tablesposon olive oil, 3 tablespoons honey, Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Wash your baby spinach and discard any wilted or damaged leaves, either pat the leaves dry or spin dry with a salad spinner to remove excess water.80 grams baby spinach leaves
- Place all your dressing ingredients in a glass jar and shake until emulsified.2 tablespoons olive oil, 4 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon honey, Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Arrange the dry spinach leaves on a salad platter, top it with the roasted, pour over the dressing then add the crumbled feta.40 grams feta
- As a final flourish, you could also drizzle with some honey and garnish with some chopped fresh parsley. Serve and enjoy!