Shredded carrot salad is super easy, delightfully delicious and best of all can be made-ahead! An incredibly healthy salad that is full of vision vitamins.
The sweet carrots together with the fresh citrusy coriander (cilantro) and crunchy mixed seeds make a tasty combination that is just so good for you. This salad keeps so well in the fridge with the added advantage of allowing the flavours to develop and meld together making it even more delicious.
As the carrots are well and truly the star in this shredded carrot salad it is important to choose wisely, if you can try, and buy organic carrots or ones that look tender, sweet and juicy and not dry.
I loved this salad with our Giouvetsi (a Greek beef and orzo stew) but it is also great curries such as a madras or rogan josh. You could also serve it with roast pork, beef brisket, steak, fish or buy a store-bought chicken for a quick last-minute dinner.
For those with special dietary requirements, this shredded carrot salad is keto, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, gluten and dairy-free.
How to make shredded carrot salad
1Make your vinaigrette
In a clean glass jar put in your lemon, lime and olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Shake until emulsified then taste and if it tastes too tart for you then add a dash of honey or maple syrup.
2Prepare your ingredients
Trim and peel your carrots then wash them under cold running water then coarsely grate them.
Wash your coriander (cilantro) under cold running water, cut off the stems and remove any damaged or wilted leaves then roughly chop. Juice your limes.
3Assemble your shredded carrot salad
Place the grated, carrots the chopped coriander, lemon, lime vinaigrette and seeds in a large mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss until well combined.
Taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
Arrange in a salad bowl and chill until you are ready to serve (the longer the tastier!)
More carrot salads to try…
- Spiralizer or Julienne Peeler
For the salad…
- 500 grams carrots (approximately 4-5 carrots)
- 1 sml bunch coriander (cilantro) (to make ¼ cup roughly chopped)
- ⅓ cup mixed seeds (toasted for extra nuttiness)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
For the vinaigrette…
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- 3 tbsps lime juice
- Put all your vinaigrette ingredients in a glass jar, season, shake until emulsified taste and if it tastes too tart add a dash of honey or maple syrup.
- Wash, trim and peel your carrots then coarsely grate them and then roughly chop your coriander.
- Place all your ingredients in a large mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss until well combined.
- Arrange in a salad bowl and chill until you are ready to serve – the longer, the better.