A sweet potato salad that will jingle your taste buds, with its bright colours, it is a a match made in heaven with turkey - hello Christmas. One taste will leave you wanting more and more!
Table of contents
The fragrant Ras El Hanout and aromatic coconut oil in this salad complement the caramelized sweet potato perfectly, the dried cranberries add sweetness while the toasted almonds bring in some nice crunch.
If this is not what you had in mind for your festivities why not try our Mixed Leaf and Cherry Salad or our Apple Pecan Salad or if you are looking for something simple with bright Xmas Colour try our Mediterranean Tomato Cucumber Salad.
You Will Need
🔥 Hot Tips For Roasting Sweet Potatoes 🔥
For this sweet potato salad, it is important that you roast your sweet potatoes perfectly! When roasted right they are gorgeous with their caramelized edges and soft centre, it really brings out their sweetness. Here are just a few things to keep in mind when roasting these golden beauties…
- Be generous with the oil. Add the oil liberally to your sweet potato tray otherwise, your sweet potatoes will stick to the pan and become dry.
- Don’t crowd your baking tray. Make sure that your sweet potatoes are evenly spaced and not touching otherwise they will steam and not caramelise.
- Have some patience. Wait until you see the edges of your sweet potatoes start to be brown before turning them. We don't want to skimp on flavour by not allowing them to turn golden and delicious.
How to make this salad
1Roast the sweet potatoes
Preheat your oven to 220°C or 425°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Wash and peel your sweet potatoes and then cut into a medium dice.
Place your diced sweet potatoes on your baking tray make sure that they are evenly spaced and not overcrowded (we want to roast them not steam them). Add ¼ cup coconut oil, 2 teaspoons of Ras El Hanout, season with sea salt and cracked black pepper then toss to combine.
Place in the middle section of your oven, wait until you see the edges of your sweet potatoes start to brown before turning. Cook until golden and soft – approximately 20-30 minutes.
Wash your parsley, shake to remove excess water then either pat or spin dry, remove the stems and chop roughly.
Wash your mint leaves, shake to remove excess water and dry, strip the leaves from the stems.
3Assemble the salad
Add your dressing ingredients in a small glass jar, season with salt and pepper and shake until emulsified.
Place all your salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl, pour over the dressing, season with sea salt and cracked black pepper and mix until well combined.
Taste your salad and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
Arrange in a salad bowl, serve and enjoy!
A healthy Christmas side that is paleo, vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free a wonderful match for your Christmas turkey, a pork belly roast, a beautifully cooked piece of salmon, or try it with a vegan nut roast.
Even More Festive Salad Ideas
- Salad Spinner
- 700 grams kumara (sweet potatoes) (approximately 2 small)
- 4 tbsps coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tsps Ras El Hanout
- Sea salt & cracked black pepper
- 1 bunch parsley (approximately 100 grams)
- ½ bunch mint (approximately 30 grams)
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup almond flakes (toasted)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil (melted)
- ⅓ cup olive oil (extra virgin)
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 220°C or 425°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Wash and peel your sweet potatoes and then cut into a medium dice.
- Arrange on your baking tray so they don't touch, add the spices, coconut oil, season then toss.
- Place in the middle section of your oven, wait until they start to brown before turning.
- Cook until golden and soft – approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Wash your herbs, shake and pat dry, then chop the parsley and strip the leaves from the mint stems.
- Add your dressing ingredients in a small glass jar, season and shake.
- Place all your salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl, pour over the dressing, season and mix until well combined.
- Arrange in a salad bowl, serve and enjoy!