Mediterranean Tomato Cucumber Salad is a quick, easy and mouthwatering side using fresh garden ingredients that we have tossed in a punchy little lemon, garlic vinaigrette to tie it all up.
What Makes This Salad Mediterranean?
It includes a classic flavour Mediterranean combination of sun kissed tomatoes, crisp cucumber, aromatic parsley and oregano in a simple lemon, olive and garlic vinaigrette.
You will find many versions of this salad everywhere in the Mediterranean.
Why We Love It
We serve a version of this salad at least three times a week as it one of dads favourites, he likes simple salads. ??♀️ But, there are so many other reasons that you should include it in your salad repertoire..
- It is ready in next to no time with a minimum of fuss
- It is cool and refreshing for hot summer days
- It uses readily available, simple ingredients
- Suits a variety of eating styles - Dairy free, Vegetarian and Vegan, Gluten Free, low carb and keto
- It is Low in calories and carbs but nutrient dense
Ingredient Tips and Substitutions
As our Mediterranean tomato cucumber salad only has a few ingredients it is important that you choose them wisely.
- Use bright red and super ripe tomatoes, this salad really benefits from their sweet tomatoey flavour. Try Roma, truss or heirloom varieties.
- Use either use Persian or Lebanese cucumbers as they have few seeds and are sweeter.
- Use Greek oregano from a deli as it is more aromatic and flavourful than what you will find in the supermarket.
- You can change the herbs if you are not a fan of oregano and parsley try dried and fresh mint or basil or coriander/cilantro.
You Will Need
This is such a quick and simple salad to put together with only a handful of ingredients which makes it an ideal side for weekday dinners.
How to Make It
Wash, trim and cut tomatoes into large chunks.
Wash, trim and cut cucumbers into half-moons.
Wash parsley, shake dry, pick the leaves from the stems and then roughly chop.
Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, season with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
Pour over olive oil and lemon juice, add the minced garlic and dried oregano and toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings according to your liking.
Arrange in a salad bowl and keep chilled until ready to serve.
Can I Make it Ahead?
This salad can be made several hours in advance and kept chilled in the fridge until you are ready to serve. It is nicer chilled on hot summer days, just give it a good mix through before serving.
More Tomato Salad Recipes
- 560 grams heirloom tomatoes1 (4 medium - 17.5oz)
- 240 grams Lebanese or Persian cucumbers (2 medium - 11.15oz)
- ¼ cup parsley leaves
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Wash, trim and cut tomatoes in large chunks.
- Wash, trim and cut cucumbers into half-moons.
- Wash parsley, shake dry, pick the leaves from the stems and then roughly chop.
- Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, season with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Pour over olive oil, lemon juice, add the minced garlic and dried oregano and toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings according to your liking.
- Arrange in a salad bowl and keep chilled until ready to serve.