This fennel orange salad is full of fennel-tastic flavour a simple show-stopping side for a dinner party or quick addition to weeknight meals. As an added bonus it is full of Vitamin C to fight off winter colds.
In this simple salad liquorice-like fennel is paired with peppery rocket, sweet oranges and all are coated with a delicious wholegrain mustard dressing.
This salad is suitable for paleo dieters, is vegan and vegetarian and gluten and nut-free.
What to do with your fennel stalks and fronds…
Just like in this fennel orange salad, most recipes using fennel use the bulbs the fronds and stems on your fennel can also be used avoiding waste.
The flavour of the fronds is not as intense as the bulb, they have a delicate liquorice-like flavour with soft leaves so use it as you would any soft herb such as dill or mint.
- Chop them up to use in your salads, they will ad a pop of bright green colour and a subtle aniseed flavour, just great for livening up a plain green salad. Just strip the fronds from the stems to use and chop finely.
- Make a delicious fennel pesto to stir through pasta, use in a dressing for salads, to rub as a rub for meats. https://www.wholefoodbellies.com/fragrant-fennel-fronds-pesto/
- Save and freeze to use in your next stock it will add a subtle sweet note or save it to use the next time you are cooking with fish be it roasting, barbecuing or poaching it will add a delicate anise flavour.
How to make this fennel orange salad…
1To prepare your fennel orange salad…
Wash your rocket and removed any damaged or wilted leaves, either pat dry or spin in a salad spinner to remove excess water.
Wash the fennel, cut off the base, hard fennel core and any damaged parts. Shred finely either using a mandoline/v-slicer or a sharp knife. As fennel discolours easily, place it in a bowl and fill with cold water until you are ready to use.
Wash your oranges, peel, remove the pith, and dice into medium pieces. Remove as many seeds that you as possible.
WASH YOUR ROCKET
EITHER PAT OR SPIN DRY
FINELY SLICE YOUR FENNEL
DICE YOUR ORANGES
2To prepare your wholegrain orange vinaigrette…
Place all your vinaigrette ingredients in a small glass jar, season with sea salt and cracked black pepper then shake until emulsified. Taste and adjust seasonings.
PLACE ALL YOUR VINAIGRETTE INGREDIENTS IN A GLASS JAR
SHAKE UNTIL EMULSIFIED
3Putting your fennel orange salad together…
Place all your salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl, pour over your vinaigrette, season with salt and pepper. Toss until all everything is well coated with the dressing, taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
Arrange in a salad bowl and chill until ready to serve.
PLACE ALL YOUR INGREDIENTS IN A LARGE MIXING BOWL
TOSS UNTIL EVERYTHING IS WELL COATED WITH THE VINAIGRETTE
What to serve with your salad…
Pair this delicious fennel orange salad with store-bought chicken, grilled pork or prawns, any pasta or it is just great with pork fennel sausages for a quick weeknight meal. Try it with…
Try some more of our fennel salads…
- Mandoline / V-Slicer
For the salad…
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (approximately 450 grams)
- 3 cups baby rocket (approximately 90 grams)
- 2 medium oranges (approximately 200 grams)
For the vinaigrette…
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp wholegrain (seeded) mustard
- Wash your rocket then either pat dry with a towel or spin dry.
- Wash, trim and remove the core from your fennel, then slice thinly on a mandoline/v-slicer or with a sharp knife. Place in water until you are ready to put your salad together.
- Wash your oranges, peel, remove the pith, and dice into medium pieces.
- Place all your vinaigrette ingredients in a glass jar, season and shake until emulsified.
- Add all your ingredients in a large mixing bowl, season, mix well until combined.
- Arrange in a salad bowl and chill until you are ready to serve.