Deliciously refreshing this Feta Cucumber Salad is ready in just 10 minutes. A handful of ingredients with winning flavours that make a speedy side dish.
We all know how hard it is to get teenage boys to eat their greens, my nephew is no exception! Cucumber is one of the few vegetables that he will eat, he loves feta and chilli so I made this salad especially for him.
The Ingredients in This Salad
As there are only a few ingredients in this feta cucumber salad it is important to choose them wisely. I have used Lebanese cucumbers as they are small, tender and have only a few seeds. But you could also use telegraph cucumber or even baby cucumbers called qukes with their cool quenching crunch.
The feta adds a tangy, salty flavour to this salad and it is better to opt for a variety that crumbles well yet is creamy such as Greek or Bulgarian Feta.
2 Easy Steps to Making This Salad
Step 1 - Cut the cucumbers
You can make this Feta Cucumber Salad two ways either in curls or half-moons. The curls are prettier while the half-moons are better if you like more feta on your fork.
Ribbon Feta Cucumber Salad
Wash your cucumber remove the tops and bottoms, then use either a vegetable or Y-peeler slice from one end of the cucumber to the other.
Discard the dark green strips, turn your cucumber over and lie it flat, now it will sit still while you are peeling it. Continue peeling until you have come to the end of your cucumber.
Half-moon Feta Cucumber Salad
Wash the cucumbers, then peel, leaving alternate strips of green, remove the tops and bottoms.
Cut in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds out with a spoon.
Then cut them into 2cm (½ inch) half-moons.
Step 2 - Assemble the salad
Now we are almost done!
Arrange your cucumbers (whichever way you have sliced them) in a bowl, then season them with some salt.
Add the crumbled feta, and pour over the oil and lemon juice then sprinkle the chilli flakes on top.
Either toss the ingredients together or serve it as it is.
Some Variations to Try
You could also make this salad with fresh chilli instead of the chilli flakes for a bright pop of heat instead of the slow burn from the chilli flakes.
A good salad to use as a base for other ingredients such as…
- Avocado and mint
- Coriander (cilantro) with lime instead of lemon juice
- Black olives and dill
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Capsicum/Bell peppers
Serving Suggestions 🍽
This is a good all-round salad that pairs well with everything try it with roasted or barbecued meats or even casseroles or hot pots.
We served ours with some barbecue lamb cutlets – no need to turn on that hot stove!
Tips and Questions
Can I Prepare This Salad in Advance?
- Yes, you can prepare the salad a few hours in advance, but add the dressing just before serving to prevent it from becoming too soggy.
Can I Use Other Types of Cheese?
- While I usually make this salad with feta, you can experiment with other cheeses like goat cheese or even a mild blue cheese for a different flavour profile.
How Do I Store Leftovers?
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The salad is best enjoyed within 1-2 days.
Another low-carb keto-friendly salad may also be suitable for some vegetarians and even vegan and Paleo fans by swapping out the feta for vegan feta cheese.
- Vegetable or Y-Peeler
- 200 grams Lebanese cucumbers (approximately 2 small)
- 50 grams feta, crumbled ⅓ cup
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes (dried) (or more!)
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Wash the cucumbers, peel and remove the tops and bottoms. Then either slice into thin ribbons using a vegetable or Y-peeler or deseed and cut into half-moons.
- Arrange the cut cucumber in a bowl, season, pour over the oil and lemon juice.
- Scatter the crumbled feta and chilli flakes on top, then either toss to combine or serve it as it is.