Homemade mayo is so moreish, delicious and so much superior to any shop-bought mayos and this easy-to-follow recipe makes to so easy.
Some Variations to try for your homemade mayo...
Aioli — Add garlic cloves 2+ and then use full strength olive oil.
Asian — Add 1 tsp grated ginger, 1 Tbsp finely chopped green onion, 1 tsp grated lime zest and replace lemon juice with lime add a few drops sesame oil.
Caper – 1 Tbsp chopped capers and 1 tsp lemon zest.
Chilli Mayonnaise — Add 1 or 2 fresh chilis or rehydrate dried chilis by soaking them in water.
Citrus – 1 tsp each of lime, lemon and orange zest replace 1 Tbsp of lemon juice with lime juice.
Harissa – 1 tsp Harissa and stir in some small mint leaves at the end.
Mustard Sauce — Use 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon-style or whole grain mustard. Thin with a tablespoon or two of cream or sour cream to desired consistency.
Green Sauce, French-Style — Add 1 sprig tarragon, about 10 sprigs of watercress (thick stems removed), 10 chives and the leaves of 5 parsley stems.
Horseradish – Add 1-2 tsp horseradish
Pesto – stir in some pesto sauce to taste.
Roasted Pepper Mayonnaise — Add 1 roasted red, yellow or orange bell pepper.
Thai – add 1 tsp Tom yum paste, 1 kaffir lime leaf shredded and then removed, ½ tsp grated ginger, lime zest, and lemongrass
- One egg (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (you can just add more lemon juice if you prefer)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup mild-tasting olive oil or avocado or MCT oil
- Place the egg in a mini food processor or blender and pulse until just mixed.;
- Then add mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper, once again pulse until combined.;
- Gradually add your oil - add some oil, pulse until well combined, stop, open the mini food processor (or blender), then add some more oil, pulse until well combined, stop, etc. it should take a few minutes to use up all the oil.;
- Stir with a spatula to make sure all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Taste your mayo for seasoning, adding more salt, pepper or lemon juice to suit your taste.;
- It can be stored in the fridge for up to one week in a glass jar
- This recipe makes approximately of one cup of mayonnaise in total which should be enough for two salads. It is the equivalent of approximately 16 tablespoons and the nutritional information is calculated this way.