In this grilled asparagus and kale salad, the king of super healthy greens is combined with sautéed asparagus and roasted red peppers for a great
tasting low carb salad.
This salad pairs well with grilled
This salad is low carb which makes it perfect for keto, it is paleo, vegan and vegetarian-friendly and naturally, it is gluten and dairy-free!
Do I really need to massage my kale for this grilled asparagus salad?
While this may seem like an odd thing to do to this vitamin-packed leafy green it helps break down the tough structure and gives kale a smoother texture and softer flavour.
Massaging kale softens the leaves and makes them easier to chew and digest. It also helps release sugars to balance its bitterness for a much tastier salad.
HOW TO DO IT…
- Either rip the leafy parts of the kale from the ribs or cut them off with a knife then and the discard the ribs.
- Place your kale leaves in a large bowl and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a teaspoon of sea salt on top and gently rub the leaves together for approximately 3 minutes. Don’t overdo it as you don’t want your kale to turn to mush.
- What I prefer to do for my salad recipes is to make the dressing or vinaigrette and then use it to massage the kale. This not only softens your kale so that it is more palatable but it also has the added benefit of letting the kale soak up the deliciousness of your dressing.
If the thought of massaging your kale sends you into fits of jealousy then you have three options:
- You can shred the kale finely or chop into small pieces and let the dressing take care of making it tender.
- You can just place the raw kale leaves (ribs removed) with your dressing, and let them soften overnight in your fridge.
- You can just make your salad well ahead of serving time and let the citrus and vinegar break down the leaves and make them softer.
How to make this salad
1Prep your veg
Wash your asparagus and remove the woody ends, then cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces.
In a hot medium-sized pan add the oil and the asparagus and sauté until golden and slightly soft (approximately 5-10 minutes).
Allow the asparagus to cool slightly, in the meantime prepare your kale following our step-by-step instructions above.
Dice your jarred capsicums finely.
2Assemble your salad
Place your massaged kale, cooled asparagus, diced peppers in a large mixing bowl along with the cooled asparagus.
Season with salt and pepper, then toss the salad until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
Arrange in a salad bowl, scatter with the slivered almonds and serve.
Can I food prep this grilled asparagus salad?
This salad is just perfect to food prep for your weekday lunches as it keeps well in the fridge and is substantial enough to keep you energised throughout the day.
Just add any form of protein that you like such as crumbled feta, grilled chicken breasts, shredded pork, or flaked salmon.
LOW CARB SALAD WITH 7.3 g NET CARBS
Try some more of our Asparagus Salad Recipes…
Need more Kale Salad Recipes…
For the sautéed asparagus…
- 500 grams asparagus (approxmately 2 bunches)
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
For the salad…
- 180 grams kale approximately ½ a bunch)
- 200 grams jarred red capsicums (peppers) (approximately 4)
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
For the dressing…
- ¼ cup pesto
- 3 tbsps oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Wash your asparagus and remove the woody ends, then cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces.
- In a hot medium sized pan add the oil and the asparagus and sauté until golden and slightly soft (approximately 5-10 minutes). Allow to cool slightly.
- While your asparagus is cooking, wash the kale, trim and remove the stems, then shred finely, place in a mixing bowl and add some salt, the vinegar and oil, then massage the kale until it starts to soften (approximately 3 minutes). Then add the pesto and mix until the kale is well coated with the pesto.
- Dice your jarred capsicums finely then add to your bowl along with the cooled asparagus. Season with salt and pepper, then toss the salad until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Arrange in a salad bowl, scatter with the slivered almonds and serve.