A Kale Avocado Salad that combines three incredible superfoods - yes, please! This salad is a nutritional powerhouse and travels well, which makes it ideal for weekday lunches or for entertaining crowds.
OUR Kale Avocado Salad is the perfect healthy dish to bring to your next potluck or picnic! Kale is a nutrient-rich leafy green that is packed with vitamins A, C, and K. Avocados are a good source of healthy fats and fibre. Red cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable that is high in antioxidants. Together, these ingredients make a delicious and healthy salad that is sure to be a hit!
Table of contents
What is a superfood?
A superfood is a food that delivers huge nutritional benefits for a small number of calories; they are loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Superfoods are known for improving energy levels and heart health, promoting weight loss and reducing the effects of ageing. As many superfoods are rich in antioxidants, they also may prevent cancer, and their healthy fats may reduce the risk of heart disease. But it is essential that they are incorporated into a well-balanced diet.
The list of superfoods varies greatly, but some popular candidates are - Leafy greens, Berries, Green tea, Eggs, Legumes, Nuts and seeds, Kefir and yoghurt, especially Greek, Garlic & Ginger, Olive oil, Turmeric, Salmon and Avocado.
- Kale is a leafy green bursting with antioxidants and packed with vitamins A, E, K, and B, especially folate. It contains more calcium than a glass of milk and more vitamin C than most leafy greens as well as a good amount of protein and iron and is high in fibre. Some research shows that it may also impede cancer cell growth.
- Avocados are famous for healthy fats and are considered a superfood as they enable the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients from other foods. They contain a whopping amount of vitamins and minerals (almost 20) which include vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium and folic acid. High in fibre and monounsaturated fats.
- Red Cabbage has ten times the nutritional benefits of white cabbage. It is the anthocyanins in red cabbage that gives it its beautiful crimson-magenta colour. They also act as dietary antioxidants that improve eye, teeth, bone and immune health. Red cabbage aids in digestion and has anti-inflammatory properties, and contains cancer-fighting flavonoids.
Let’s Talk Ingredients and Substitutions
- Kale is used as the base in this salad which can be replaced by any sturdy leafy greens such as silverbeet, chard, spinach, romaine/cos or iceberg lettuce.
- Red cabbage is an added vegetable used for its bright crimson colour; you can always just use white cabbage or grated carrots instead.
- Avocado for its creamy deliciousness, and to boost the satiety in this salad, you can use nut butter such as almond instead for creaminess.
- Slivered almonds for a delightful crunch to also boost the satiety of this salad.
- Creamy Cajun dressing for creaminess and a spicy hit, a store-bought ranch or Caesar dressing, or a simple lemon-olive oil dressing would also work well in this salad.
You will need:
How to Make It
Step 1 - Make the Dressing.
Step 2 - Prepare the Kale
Step 3 - Prepare the Remaining Ingredients.
Step 4 - Assemble the Salad.
This is a versatile salad that is perfect for barbecues, potlucks, family dinners or parties. It pairs beautifully with anything and everything from grilled meats, roasts, stews or tagines.
Can I make it Ahead and Meal Prep?
- The dressing can be made 4-5 days in advance and kept in a sealed container in your fridge.
- You can make up the salad the day before and keep it covered in your fridge. Just add the diced avocado and the dressing before serving (up to 1-2 hours).
- This is a great salad to make for weekday lunches, portion it into individual containers and leave out the avocado to add either the night before or on the day.
What about the leftovers?
This salad is still good to eat the following day or great to add as a filling to sandwiches or wraps.
You May Also Like
- Small Food Processor or High-Speed / Bullet Blender
- 4 cups kale, shredded (aproximately ½ bunch)
- 3 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 large avocado
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayo
- ¼ cup lemon or lime juice
- 2 tbsps parsley, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoon Cajun spice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small food processor, season and then blitz together until everything is well combined.
- Taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Wash your kale under cold running water, either rip the leafy parts of the kale from the ribs or cut them off with a knife then discard the ribs. Finely shred your kale leaves.
- Place your kale leaves in a large mixing bowl, add some salt and your dressing and gently rub the leaves together for approximately 3-5 minutes to soften your kale for a more palatable salad. Don’t overdo it as you don’t want your kale to turn to mush.
- Wash your cabbage well, remove the outer damaged leaves, cut it in half and remove the core. Shred finely using a mandoline / v-slicer, or your food processor with the slicing attachment or with a very sharp chef’s knife.
- Wash, peel, remove the pit and dice the avocado.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the bowl with the kale, season with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Toss well to combine, taste and adjust seasonings according to your liking. Arrange in a salad bowl, garnish with a sprinkle of cajun spice and serve.