Madras curry powder really stands out amongst the plethora of curry blends on the market at the moment. This blend is truly aromatic and suitable for some depth to your dressings as well as your curries.
This curry is named for the South Indian city of Madras, the heat in this part of the country is ideal for growing chilli peppers, hence the cuisine in this area is heavy on the chillies
It is a great blend for numerous dishes both meat and vegetarian.
- 3 tbsps coriander seeds
- 2 tbsps cumin seeds
- 1 ½ tbsps ground turmeric
- ½ tbsps ground ginger
- ½ tbsp fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder or as much as you like
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds
- Toast your seeds on a dry pan over low-medium heat until aromatic.
- Remove from heat then grind them into a powder using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- Place the ground seeds and remaining spices in a bowl and stir until well combined.
- Store in an air-tight container until ready to use.