This Rainbow Chard Salad is not only colourful but also nutritious and tasty.
The crisp rainbow chard is a nice base for the creamy avocado, sweet mandarins and the zesty mandarin lime vinaigrette while the seeds add a nice crunch.
A powerhouse of essential vitamins
- Salad Spinner
For the salad…
- 400 grams rainbow chard (1 bunch)
- 360 grams mandarins (4 mandarins)
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 4 tbsps toasted mixed seeds1
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
For the mandarin & lime vinaigrette…
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup mandarin juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil
For the garnish…
- 1 mandarin
- 2 tbsps coriander leaves
- 1 tbsps toasted mixed seeds1
- Wash the rainbow chard well, cut off the bottom of the stems and remove any damaged leaves. Spin the leaves of the rainbow chard in a salad spinner to remove the excess water.
- Finely dice the stems and chiffonade the leaves, place in a large mixing bowl.
- Peel the mandarins, separate into segments, remove the stringy parts, snip off the inner end of the mandarin membrane and cut in half. Place the mandarin segments in the bowl with the rainbow chard.
- Wash the coriander leaves and shake to remove the excess water then pat dry with a towel, roughly chop then place with the rainbow chard and mandarin.
- Place all the vinaigrette ingredients in a glass jar and shake until emulsified.
- Peel the avocados, remove the seeds, then chop roughly then place in the mixing bowl. Add the seeds. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, season with salt and pepper and mix until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Peel the mandarin and slice into rounds. Arrange the salad in a salad platter, place the mandarin slices around the platter, scatter the seeds and coriander on top to garnish. Serve immediately.
- I used pepitas, sunflower seeds, linseeds, sesame seeds.
The video in this recipe is courtesy of LeCordon Bleu.