This Romaine Avocado Salad is quick, easy, and an ideal side to any dinner or use it as a base to create a main meal salad. While our vegan Caesar adds a beautiful creaminess with no dairy products so will also suit those who are lactose intolerant.
A great salad that suits any occasion from weekday dinners to fancy dinner parties. Serve it as a side at your next barbecue or with your roast dinner or take it to a pot-puck. It can easily be transformed into a dinner salad by adding any protein you fancy.
11 Ways to Make it a Dinner Salad
Such a versatile little number to keep in your salad arsenal and add any protein that you have on hand.
For the carnivores
- Add some grilled chilli chicken fillets
- Add some seared rosemary and garlic lamb
- Add some pulled pork
- Add some bacon, a poached egg and shaved Parmesan for a Caesar
For the pescatarians
- Add some garlic prawns
- Add some smoked salmon or grilled salmon
- Add some grilled sardines
For vegans and vegetarians
- Add some crispy fried tofu
- Add some black beans or red kidney beans with a dash of Tabasco
- Add some cooked wild rice or quinoa
- Add some black bean and quinoa balls
You Will Need
3 Easy Steps to Make this Salad
1 PREPARE THE VEGETABLES
Wash all the vegetables and pat dry with a clean towel.
Cut off the lettuce core and remove any damaged outer leaves then shred.
Trim the tops and bottoms of the cucumber and cut into rounds.
Remove the seed from the avocado and then dice, add some lemon juice to prevent it from browning.
2BLITZ THE DRESSING
Add all the dressing ingredients to a small food processor or blender, season with some sea salt and cracked black pepper and blitz until well combined.
3ASSEMBLE THE SALAD
Place everything in a mixing bowl, pour over the dressing, season and toss well to combine.
Can I make it ahead?
- Yes, you can make this salad several hours in advance. Make sure that you liberal squeeze lemon juice on the avocado to prevent browning. Keep the dressing separate and toss through the salad greens just before serving otherwise it will become soggy.
- The dressing can be made 1-2 days in advance and kept covered in the fridge until you are ready to assemble the salad.
Other dressings to try
As this salad is made up of a few basic ingredients it lends itself beautifully to, other dressings try it with a balsamic glaze or with our:
- Salad Spinner
- Small Food Processor or High-Speed / Bullet Blender
- ½ head Romaine/Cos lettuce (approximately 350 grams)
- 2 large avocados (approximately 500 grams)
- 2 medium Lebanese or Persian cucumbers (approximately 240 grams)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- ⅓ cup coconut yogurt
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsps olive oil (for oil-free replace with tahini)
- 1 tablespoon baby capers
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Wash all the vegetables and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Cut off the lettuce core and remove any damaged outer leaves then shred.
- Trim the tops and bottoms of the cucumber and cut into rounds.
- Remove the seed from the avocado and then dice, add some lemon juice to prevent it from browning.
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a small food processor or blender, season with some sea salt and cracked black pepper and blitz until well combined.
- Place everything in a mixing bowl, pour over the dressing, season and toss well to combine.
WOW this looks delish! I will have to try this 🙂
Ahh yes what’s not to love about avocados!! ❤️?
Heather Ritchie says
Thank you for making this really easy to follow. It looks amazing and I love romaine and avocado. I'm going to check out the chili chicken fillet recipe too because I think it would make a great addition to this salad.
Hi Heather, it is one of my favourite combinations as well. Let me know how you go!
Worcestershire sauce in a salad dressing? That definitely has me intrigued! I am definitely going to try this - perhaps with a little chicken and maybe some sweetcorn too. (PS Love your site look too!)
Rachael, you will be pleasantly surprised I am sure! It really lifts the dressing ?
this looks so yummy!
It was divine! ?