This Romaine Avocado Salad is quick, easy, and an ideal side to any dinner or use it as a base to create a main meal salad. Our vegan Caesar adds a beautiful creaminess with no dairy products so will also suit those who are lactose intolerant.
A great salad that suits any occasion from weekday dinners to fancy dinner parties. Serve it as a side at your next barbecue or with your roast dinner or take it to a pot-puck. It can easily be transformed into a dinner salad by adding any protein you fancy.
You Will Need
3 Easy Steps to Make this Salad
Step 1 - Prepare the Vegetables
Wash all the vegetables, then either pat the lettuce dry with a clean towel or spin dry in a salad spinner.
Cut off the lettuce core and remove any damaged outer leaves then shred.
Trim the tops and bottoms of the cucumber and cut into rounds.
Remove the pit from the avocado and then dice, add some lemon juice to prevent it from browning.
Step 2 - Blitz the Dressing
Add all the dressing ingredients to a small food processor or blender, season with some sea salt and cracked black pepper and blitz until well combined.
Step 3 - Assemble the Salad
Place all the prepared ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Pour over the vegan Caesar dressing.
Season and toss until everything is well combined.
Serve and Enjoy!
Serving Suggestions 🍽
A great side for barbecues as it pairs beautifully with grilled meats.
- Pair with Grilled Protein:
- Serve the Romaine Avocado Salad alongside grilled vegan protein options like tofu and tempeh, and try it with grilled chicken, grilled pork chops or steak for a complete and satisfying meal.
- Serve Alongside a Stew or Casserole:
- Wrap it Up:
- Transform this salad into a wrap by filling a whole-grain tortilla with your favourite protein, the salad mixture and a generous drizzle of Vegan Caesar Dressing.
- Add Quinoa or Farro:
- Boost the salad's protein content by adding cooked quinoa or farro.
How to Make It a Dinner Salad
Such a versatile little number to keep in your salad arsenal and add any protein that you have on hand.
Tips and Questions
Can I Use Iceberg Lettuce Instead of Romaine Lettuce?
Yes, you can substitute romaine lettuce with iceberg lettuce if desired. However, keep in mind that romaine lettuce has a slightly sweeter and crunchier texture which adds a nice contrast to the creaminess of avocado and dressing.
Can I Make It Ahead?
- Yes, you can make this salad several hours in advance. Make sure that you liberal squeeze lemon juice on the avocado to prevent browning. Keep the dressing separate and toss through the salad greens just before serving otherwise it will become soggy.
- The dressing can be made 1-2 days in advance and kept covered in the fridge until you are ready to assemble the salad.
How Long Does the Salad Stay Fresh?
- Consume the salad immediately for the best texture and flavour.
- If you need to store leftovers, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge to eat the following day.
Can I Use a Store-Bought Vegan Caesar Dressing?
While store-bought options are available, making your own allows you to control the ingredients and customize the flavour.
Other Dressings to Try
As this salad is made up of a few basic ingredients it lends itself beautifully to, other dressings try it with a balsamic glaze or with our:
- Salad Spinner
- Small Food Processor or High-Speed / Bullet Blender
- ½ head Romaine/Cos lettuce (approximately 350 grams)
- 2 large avocados (approximately 500 grams)
- 2 medium Lebanese or Persian cucumbers (approximately 240 grams)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- ⅓ cup coconut yogurt
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsps olive oil (for oil-free replace with tahini)
- 1 tablespoon baby capers
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Wash all the vegetables and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Cut off the lettuce core and remove any damaged outer leaves then shred.
- Trim the tops and bottoms of the cucumber and cut into rounds.
- Remove the seed from the avocado and then dice, add some lemon juice to prevent it from browning.
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a small food processor or blender, season with some sea salt and cracked black pepper and blitz until well combined.
- Place everything in a mixing bowl, pour over the dressing, season and toss well to combine.