If you haven't tried raw sprouts yet, you're missing out! Our spectacular Purple Brussel Sprouts Salad is here and ready for you to try them. It's a vitamin-packed side dish that will make your taste buds go wild. You won't regret trying this one!
Purple Brussels sprouts have a sweet and nutty flavour that really stands out in this salad. You get a truly delicious and health-packed meal with creamy avocado, sweet and juicy oranges, and crunchy poppy seeds.
This salad is the perfect choice for lunch, dinner, or even a potluck. It's easy to throw together, and it looks stunning when served. If you're looking for an inspiring new salad experience, this is it!
If you prefer a warm roast Brussels sprouts recipe, then our Greek Roasted Brussels Sprout recipe is definitely one to try - everything tastes better with feta, remember?
The Difference Between Purple and Green Brussels Sprouts
These mini beauties are a cross between classic sprouts and red cabbage. They have dark purple leaves with green and red-violet streaks.
Apart from their colour, purple sprouts are less pungent than green ones, with a sweeter, earthy, almost nutty flavour.
Their heads are packed looser than green sprouts, so they cook faster. Like their green counterparts, they are a good source of fibre, folate, and vitamins A, C, K, and B6.
Their purple colour comes from the anthocyanin flavonoids in them, providing added antioxidants.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Purple Brussels Sprouts - you can find these purple-hued beauties at the supermarket or farmer's market during autumn/fall and winter months. Sometimes called red sprouts.
- Oranges - for some juicy sweetness, swap for any of your favourite season citruses such as mandarins, tangelos, pomelos or grapefruits.
- Avocado - added for healthy fat creaminess; try some edamame, silken tofu or chickpeas if you are not a fan.
- The Dressing - we have whipped up a tasty orange and poppyseed vinaigrette for this colourful salad; for something simpler, try a balsamic vinegar dressing.
Consider Adding - some crispy bacon, crumbled feta cheese, creamy goat's cheese, or roasted nuts such as walnuts, almonds, pecans or hazelnuts.
How to Make It (Step-by-Step)
Step 1 - Prepare Purple Sprouts
WASH AND TRIM SPROUTS
SHRED IN FOOD PROCESSOR
ADD DRESSING INGREDIENTS TO JAR
SHAKE WELL TO COMBINE
POUR OVER DRESSING OVER SPROUTS
MASSAGE SPROUTS WITH DRESSING
Step 3 - Prepare Remaining Ingredients
Step 4 - Assemble the Salad
ADD INGREDIENTS TO SPROUTS
MIX WELL TO COMBINE
🍽 Serving Suggestions
This salad pairs well with smoked meats such as smoked bacon or pancetta, as well as game meats and pork.
We served ours with crispy stuffed porchetta, which is great for dinner parties.
For something exotic, try it with Pheasant with cider and bacon.
For a delicious, packable, light lunch, why not add some pulled pork, crispy tofu or shredded chicken?
Tips and Questions
Try Some More of Our Brassica Salads
- Food Processor
- 2 medium oranges (approximately 400 grams, 14 ounces)
- 1 medium avocado (approximately 250 grams 8.8 ounces)
- 400 grams purple sprouts (approximately 14 ounces)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Rinse the Brussels sprouts and trim the dry base of each one, being careful not to cut too close or else it'll fall apart. Peel off any discoloured or brown leaves.
- You can shred the sprouts in a food processor, or slice them by hand, then add to a mixing bowl.
- Shake the orange and poppyseed vinaigrette in a jar and pour it over the sprouts, and season. Use your hands to massage the dressing into the veggies to let the flavours mingle.
- Cut off the ends of the oranges, then slice the peel close to the flesh to avoid the white pith. Discard any pith and seeds, then cut into a medium dice.
- Wash, peel and dice the avocado and if you want, squeeze a bit of lemon juice to prevent it from browning.
- Add the oranges and avocados to the bowl with the sprouts. Season lightly and mix gently, then taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Arrange in a salad bowl, garnish with orange slices and a sprinkle of poppyseed. Serve and Enjoy!