This Snow Pea Salad is vibrant green and full of crunchy sweet snow peas and mild seeds, just perfect with creamy avocado and the subtle Dijon Vinaigrette.
Preparing the vegetables for this Snow Pea Salad…
Preparing your Snow Peas…
Unless you have purchased a stringless variety the strings for sugar snap peas and snow peas will have to be removed.
Pinch the stem end of the pod with either your fingers or a knife then pull the string down towards the other end, to release the peas from the inside run your finger on the inside of the pod. Discard the strings and pods.
More mature pods may need stringing on both sides, often you can do this from both sides at once – by cutting the stem carefully and pulling down both sides at once.
Preparing your Watercress…
Rinse under cold running water in a strainer, pick the sprigs with leaves off the main stem, discarding the stem as this can be tough and chewy.
Pat dry with a towel or for the best results spin dry in a salad spinner as it will allow the dressing to adhere to the leaves without watering it down.
How to Peel an Avocado…
Using a large spoon slide it between the skin and the flesh of the avocado half. Work from the wide bottom to the top in one movement to remove the whole piece.
- Salad Spinner
For the salad…
- 250 grams snow peas (keep a handful for garnish)
- 150 grams watercress
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsps Pepita or Pumpkin Seeds (toasted)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
For the vinaigrette…
- 5 tbsps olive oil
- 3 1/2 tbsps Chardonnay vinegar (you may substitute with white wine vinegar)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsps Sunflower seeds (toasted)
- Rinse the snow peas in a colander under cold running water, pat dry. Remove the tips, tails and strings, then cut into julienne. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Wash your watercress then spin in a salad spinner to remove excess water. Transfer to your bowl.
- Peel your avocado remove the pit, then cut into a medium dice. Transfer to your bowl.
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a glass jar and shake until emulsified.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, season with salt and pepper, toss until the salad ingredients have been coated with the dressing. Taste the salad and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Arrange in a salad bowl and serve immediately.
The video in this recipe is courtesy of Chatelaine.