A great balsamic glaze or balsamic reduction is perfect for tomato, mixed leaf and avocado salads and also great with grilled chicken or fish.
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar (a good quality vinegar from Modena or Reggio Emilia)
- Place your balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan on medium heat.
- Bring to a gentle simmer (do not let it come to a rolling boil as it could easily burn).
- Stir it continuously until it reduces by half and it starts to thicken into a syrupy glaze.
- It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (approximately 10-15 minutes).
- Take it off the heat immediately and allow it to cool.
- Keep in mind that the glaze will thicken slightly once it cools.
- Once cool store in a glass jar or bottle.
- This recipe makes a total of one cup of balsamic glaze or 16 tablespoons, the nutritional information is also calculated this way.