In this Moroccan Chickpea salad the roasted sweet potatoes, salty feta and crisp English spinach combine to make a satisfying winter salad.
Roasting chickpeas completely transforms them into a tasty, crunchy addition to any of your salads or great on their own as a snack.
Moroccan Chickpea Salad with Sweet Potato
- 700 grams sweet potatoes (2 medium sized ones)
- 2 tins chickpeas 1 (400 grams each)
- 2 tbsps Moroccan spice mix
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
For the salad…
- 100 grams English spinach (you can also use baby spinach)
- ½ cup parsley leaves (tightly packed)
- ½ cup mint leaves (tightly packed)
- 150 grams feta (crumbled)
For the dressing…
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup lime juice (approximately 2 medium)
For the garnish….
- 2 tbsps feta (crumbled)
- 3 tbsps almond flakes (toasted)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F). Line a two baking trays with baking paper or foil. (one for the chickpeas the other for the sweet potatoes).
- Drain your tinned chickpeas in a colander, rinse well under cold water and then pat dry1. Transfer to your baking tray.
- The trick to here is too start the chickpeas in a hot oven (230°C – 450°F) for 25 minutes and then turning off the oven, leaving the chickpeas in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Wash your sweet potatoes, peel them then cut into a medium dice. Transfer to your baking tray.
- Add the spices and ¼ cup olive oil ito your tray with the sweet potatoes and and mix well until they are well coated. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft and golden. Take them out of the oven. Once cool transfer to a large mixing bowl.
To make up your salad…
- Wash your spinach and spin dry in a salad spinner to remove excess water. Chop your spinach roughly. Transfer to your mixing bowl.
- Wash your parsley and mint leaves, shake to remove excess water and pat dry. Roughly chop. Transfer to your mixing bowl along with the crumbled feta and roasted chickpeas.
- Add all your dressing ingredients to a glass jar and shake untl emulsified. Pour your dressing over your salad, season with salt and pepper, toss well to combine. Taste your salad and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Arrange your salad in a salad bowl, scatter with the additional feta and almond flakes, then serve.
- To get 400 grams of cooked chickpeas you will need to boil 200 grams of dried chickpeas. Soak your chickpeas overnight then transfer them to a large saucepan. Cover them with 5cms of water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat slightly and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. You will need to remove the scum as it forms with a slotted spoon. Drain in a colander and rinse well under cold running water, pat dry with a towel.
Cooking times are for tinned chickpeas, you will need to add the extra time if you are soaking and cooking dried chickpeas.
The video on how to roast chickpeas is courtesy of Bites of Wellness.