A favourite Roasted Chickpea Salad recipe from Kathy Tsaples, incredible tasting roast chickpeas and vegetables with salty feta and hazelnuts. Travels beautifully for pot lucks, picnics and for weekday lunches.
A while ago a friend and I took our Mum's to a cooking demonstration by Kathy Tsaples a fellow Greek food lover who has just brought out a new book "Sweet Greek Life".
We had a wonderful morning discussing recipes, hearing food stories and tasting the delightful labours from Kathy's demonstrations.
This Roasted Chickpea Salad is from the book she was promoting on the day, the minute I saw this I could not wait to come home and try it. I thought the combination of chickpeas and hazelnuts would be fun to try - is it a chickpea or a hazelnut, they both look so similar.
- 800 grams boiled chickpeas or 2 x 400 gram tins;
- ¼ cup olive oil for the chickpeas
- ⅓ cup olive oil for the vegetables
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 bunch baby carrots, topped, tailed and washed well or 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 2 small fennel bulbs sliced thinly into half-moons
- 2 brown onions sliced thinly into half-moons
- ½ cup whole hazelnuts toasted
- 200 grams feta cheese crumbled
- 1 cup flat-leaf Parsley chopped (leaves only)
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes or 1 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and spread them out on the baking paper.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, add the smoked paprika and mix until the chickpeas are well coated. Roast for approximately 20 minutes or until crunchy.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the carrots, fennel and onions on a baking tray with the ⅓ olive oil and roast until tender (approximately 20-30 minutes).
- Make sure you turn them occasionally to ensure they are caramelised all over. Remove from the oven.
- Add all the dressing ingredients in a glass jar and shake until emulsified.;
- In a large mixing bowl add the chickpeas, roasted vegetables, dressing and toss well.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with the parsley leaves and feta.