This Arugula Avocado Salad will give a power boost to your day with the healthy fats in the avocados and the omega-3s found in the seeds. Especially for the avocado lovers in my family!
Creamy avocado brings a mouth-filling richness to this velvety salad, while the arugula (rocket) adds a peppery bite and the seeds a wonderful crunch. A delicious way to use up your avocados!
You Will Need
How to Make It
Step 1 - Prepare Arugula/rocket
You can either use a bunch of arugula (rocket) or baby arugula.
Wash the rocket, discard any wilted or damaged leaves then shake to remove the excess water.
Trim the ends, then either pat dry or spin dry in a salad spinner to dry.
Chop roughly and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
For baby arugula wash under cold running water, remove any damaged or wilted leaves then, either pat or spin dry.
Step 2 - Shake or Whisk Dressing
Add all the vinaigrette ingredients to a glass jar and shake or whisk in a small bowl - until emulsified.
Step 3 - Cut Avocado
Pit and peel the avocados.
Cut them into large dice.
Transfer most of the avocado to your salad bowl and reserve approximately half an avocado to use as a garnish.
Step 4 - Assemble Salad
Add all your prepared ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
Pour the dressing over the salad, then season with salt and cracked black pepper.
Toss your salad gently to combine, taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
Arrange in a salad bowl, scatter the reserved avocado and pepitas on top and serve immediately.
Serving Suggestions 🍽
The perfect salad to serve with spicy food like curries or peri-peri chicken as it is refreshing and cooling. Also great to serve at a dinner party or barbecue.
Questions and Tips
Are Pumpkin Seeds and Pepitas the same?
While they are interchangeable pumpkin and pepita seeds are not the same.
- Pumpkin Seeds – have a soft white or creme-covered shell that is difficult to remove and are found in carving pumpkins. They have a soft, chewy texture with a sweet, nutty flavour.
- Pepitas – these do not have a shell and come from hull-less pumpkins such as oilseed or Styrian. The flavour is light and nutty, with a smooth texture.
Can I Make It Ahead?
- Once this salad has been dressed then you really should eat it straight away.
- However, you can make the lemony vinaigrette the day before and keep it refrigerated. Just bring it to room temperature and give it a good shake before adding to your salad.
What Diets Is Arugula Avocado Salad Suitable For?
- Unless you have a particular food allergy then this salad is suitable for most diets - dairy-free, gluten-free, keto, low-carb, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, and whole30.
- Salad Spinner
- 1 bunch arugula / rocket (110g/4oz or 5 cups baby, loosely packed)
- 2 large avocados (400g/14.20oz)
- 1 tablespoon pepitas (or pumpkin seeds)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- For a bunch of rocket/arugula, wash, discard any wilted or damaged leaves, trim the ends, shake and either pat dry or spin dry in a salad spinner to remove excess water. Chop roughly and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- For baby arugula, wash, discard any wilted or damaged leaves, trim the ends, then either pat dry or spin dry in a salad spinner to remove excess water.
- Add all the vinaigrette ingredients to a glass jar and shake or whisk in a small bowl - until emulsified.
- Pit and peel the avocados and cut into large dice. Transfer most of the avocado to your salad bowl and reserve approximately half a cup to use as a garnish.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, season with salt and pepper and toss gently to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Arrange in a salad bowl, scatter the reserved avocado and pepitas on top and serve immediately.