Whether you call this a prawn salad or shrimp salad, this is a summer favourite no matter where you are. A handful of ingredients that are matched to perfection - sometimes you just can’t beat the classics!
An ideal salad to highlight fresh prawns, matched with the creaminess of healthy fat avocado and a hit of zingy lemon makes this salad perfect for summer entertaining.
- Served with crusty bread this makes for a refreshing lunch or light dinner.
- You can also serve it alongside a grilled seafood platter for an elegant dinner.
- With a casual family dinner alongside fish and chips.
- Makes a wonderful entree served in lettuce cups with a sprinkle of smoked paprika.
You Will Need...
How to make prawn/Shrimp and Avocado Salad
Peel and devein your cooked prawns, rinse well in a colander under cold running water. Leave in the colander to drain well.
Place your shrimp/prawns in a mixing bowl season then add the lemon juice and olive oil.
Mix well to combine.
2FAN AVOCADO & ASSEMBLE SALAD
Wash avocado, remove the pit and peel, then place the avocado halves on a plate.
Thinly slice the avocado halves.
Gently push your avocado slices on the diagonal to fan them out.
Season your avocado and squeeze lemon juice on top to prevent browning.
Mix your marinated shrimp/prawns and then arrange on top of your fanned avocado.
Serve immediately or chill in your fridge for no more than half an hour before serving.
Can I make It Ahead?
I like to buy seafood no more than a day before I plan on using it. You can either buy shrimp that has already been cleaned for your or clean and peel them the day before and store covered in your fridge.
As avocado browns easily I recommend cutting it and adding some lemon juice to it just before serving.
What about leftovers?
Personally I would not keep any leftovers for more than a day covered in the fridge. They would be great on toasted sourdough with a poached egg and some hollandaise.
- 300 grams avocado (approximately 2 large or 11oz)
- 1 kg cooked prawns (approximately 24 large or 35oz)
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Peel and devein your cooked prawns, rinse well in a colander under cold running water. Drain well in the colander, then place in a bowl.
- Wash avocado, remove the pit and peel, then place the avocado halves on a plate.
- Thinly slice the avocado halves and gently push your avocado slices on the diagonal to fan them out.
- Mix your marinated shrimp/prawns and then arrange on top of your fanned avocado.
- Serve immediately or chill in your fridge for no more than half an hour before serving.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
The video in this recipe is courtesy of The Raw Chef.