Are you tired of the same old store-bought dressings that lack flavour and freshness? Then you MUST try our Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette, it is aromatic and delicious perfect for adding some rich flavour to salads or as a marinade for chicken and pork.
With its robust flavour our basil balsamic vinaigrette is a game-changer when it comes to elevating your salad game. Not only does it add a burst of freshness, but it also provides a perfect balance of tangy and sweet, thanks to the balsamic vinegar.
You Will Need
Wash your basil, shake and pat dry and then roughly chop.
Place all dressing ingredients in a high-speed blender and season.
Blitz the ingredients together until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings according to your liking.
Store in a sealed glass container in the fridge.
What Can I Use It On?
- Toss it with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and feta cheese for a vibrant salad.
- Pair with a caprese salad, featuring fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil.
- Mix it into a pasta salad with cherry tomatoes, olives, and fresh herbs.
- Strawberry Basil Salad, toss sliced strawberries with basil balsamic vinaigrette, and serve over a bed of mixed greens.
- Fresh Mozzarella and Avocado Salad, combine fresh mozzarella, sliced avocados, and cherry tomatoes, then drizzle with basil balsamic vinaigrette.
- Fresh Fruit Salad:
- Drizzle over a fruit salad with watermelon, feta, and mint for a sweet and savory combination.
- Grilled Vegetables:
- Use it as a marinade for grilled vegetables like Brussels sprouts, zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers, and mushrooms.
- Chicken Marinade:
- Marinate chicken breasts or thighs in basil balsamic vinaigrette before grilling or baking.
- Glaze for Grilled Meats:
- Brush it on grilled meats like pork chops or steak as a delicious glaze.
- Grilled Shrimp:
- Use it as a marinade for grilled shrimp, serving them over a bed of greens or rice.
- Caprese Skewers:
- Drizzle over skewers of cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil for a tasty appetizer.
- Tomato Basil Bruschetta:
- Use it as a dressing for a tomato and basil bruschetta, served on toasted baguette slices.
- Quinoa Bowl:
- Mix it with cooked quinoa, diced vegetables, and feta cheese for a flavourful quinoa bowl.
- Couscous Dish:
- Drizzle over couscous with roasted vegetables and chickpeas for a tasty side dish.
- Sandwich Spread:
- Use it as a spread for sandwiches or wraps, adding a burst of flavour to your lunch.
Tips and Questions
More On Balsamic Vinegar
Balsamic vinegar is dark brown vinegar traditionally made in Italy from unfiltered, unfermented grape juice. The difference with other kinds of vinegar is that it is made from pressed grapes and aged like wine rather than being made from fermented alcohol.
For an authentic balsamic always look to Modena or Reggio Emilia. The older the vinegar the sweeter and more syrupy it is.
What Can I Use Instead of Balsamic?
Balsamic vinegar is readily available in most supermarkets, however, if you find you have run out then it can easily be substituted with red wine vinegar with a teaspoon of brown sugar or a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup added to sweeten it.
Can I Make It in a Glass Container?
If you don't have blender of food processor then you can chop the basil finely or into thin ribbons and pop all the remaining ingredients in a glass jar, season and shake well to combine.
How Much Does It Make?
This recipe makes approximately ¾ cup of dressing or nine tablespoons which is enough for one large salad that serves six. The nutritional information has been calculated per tablespoon.
How Long Can I Store It For?
If you keep your Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette in a sealed glass container and store it in the fridge it should keep for 2-3 days.
We Have Used It in Our:
Roasted Baby Vine Cap Salad which you will find in our upcoming Summer Salads Book.
Or Use It as an Alternative Dressing on
- High Speed Blender or Small Food Processor
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup basil leaves chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- Place all dressing ingredients in a high speed blender and season.
- Blitz the ingredients together until well combined.
- Taste and adjust seasonings according to your liking.
- Store in a sealed glass container in the fridge for 2-3 days.