This Tabouli Salad is a variation to the classic tabbouleh recipe with the addition of the celery and creamy avocado, a wonderful accompaniment to the dark burghul wheat.
A versatile salad that can be served with pretty much anything from red meats, poultry or seafood. A great salad to make for your next barbecue as its flavours compliment charred meats beautifully. Also, a great salad to make for a packed lunch with the addition of a protein such as grilled chicken breast or tinned tuna flakes.
- ½ cup burghul wheat
- ½ bunch parsley (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 bunch mint (approximately 1 cup)
- 2 green onions
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 1 stick celery
- 1 avocado diced
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Paprika to garnish
- Place the burghul in a bowl and completely cover it with 1 cup boiling water, then let it stand covered for 20-30 minutes or until softened. Drain it in a colander and rinse under cold water. Still, in the colander, press out excess water with a metal spoon.
- Wash the parsley and the mint, shake to remove excess water, pat dry with a towel and then roughly chop. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Wash and peel the cucumber, cut off the tops and bottoms and cut into a medium dice. Transfer to your bowl.
- Wash your celery stalk, de-thread it and slice thinly, transfer to your bowl.
- Trim the spring onions, wash them thoroughly to remove any dirt, then slice thinly. Transfer to your bowl.
- Peel your avocado, remove the seed and then cut into a medium dice. Transfer to your bowl.
- Place the drained burghul wheat to your bowl with the salad ingredients. Add the oil and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper. Toss the salad until well combined, taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Arrange in a salad bowl, garnish with a sprinkle of paprika and serve.
This video is courtesy of Healthy Cooking Lessons.