A simple mixed green salad with sweet dates and an out of this world anti-inflammatory turmeric dressing full of sweet, tangy flavour and a little spice from the ginger. An elegant salad perfect for dinner parties, girlie lunches or curry nights.
Not only is this mixed green salad delicious it has all the health benefits of curcumin a powerful anti-inflammatory.
The pungent turmeric and spicy ginger dressing complement the crunchy celery, earthy pistachios and sweet Medjool dates while crisp salad leaves add the perfect base for this salad.
A wonderful salad that can be adapted to suit many occasions, we have enjoyed it at…
- A fancy dinner party served with a stuffed pork belly roast
- A girlie lunch with a sweet potato flower tart and perfectly grilled salmon fillets
- And as a super casual dinner alongside a hot madras takeaway curry
How to make your mixed green salad
1Prep your ingredients
Wash your mixed lettuce leaves in a colander under cold running water, remove any damaged or wilted leaves. Shake and then either pat dry with a towel or spin dry in a salad spinner.
Wash your celery stalks, de-thread and thinly slice them. Chop your dates and crush your pistachios. Add everything to a large mixing bowl.
2Make your dressing
Add all the dressing ingredients in a glass jar, season with some sea salt and cracked black pepper then shake until emulsified.
Taste and adjust seasonings according to your personal preferences.
3Assemble your mixed green salad
Pour your dressing over your salad, season with salt and pepper and toss until well combined.
Arrange in a salad bowl, scatter the extra pistachios on top to garnish and serve immediately.
While this mixed green salad cannot be made in advance there are a couple of things you can do to save yourself some time on the day.
- Slice your celery a few days in advance and keep it covered in a container topped up with water. This will keep your celery fresh and make it super crunchy. Just make you sure you strain it well and pat it dry before adding to your salad.
- Make the dressing several days ahead and keep it in a covered container in your fridge.
- Chop the dates, crush the pistachios and keep them covered in separate containers until you are ready to use.
- Once made up this salad should be eaten on the day, the leaves will become soggy after several hours once the dressing is poured over.
Can I meal prep this salad?
- To meal prep this salad for your lunches – make up the salad and keep the dressing in a separate container to add just before you are ready to eat.
- Without the dressing, it will keep in your fridge for approximately 2 days.
- For some added protein you could try some grilled chicken, flaked salmon or chickpeas for a vegetarian/vegan option.
A couple of more of our salads with turmeric to try
- Salad Spinner
For the salad…
- 120 grams mixed lettuce leaves 1 (approximately 3 cups)
- 4 stalks celery (400 grams approximately 2 cups sliced)
- ⅓ cup pistachios (slightly crushed ) 2
- 5 Medjool dates (⅓ cup chopped dates)
For the dressing…
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp turmeric, fresh (grated)
- 1 tbsp ginger, fresh (grated)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
For the garnish…
- 2 tbsps pistachios (slightly crushed)
- Wash and dry your mixed salad leaves.
- Wash your celery stalks, de-thread them and slice thinly then chop your dates, add all your salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a glass jar and shake until emulsified.
- Pour your dressing over your salad, season with salt and pepper and toss until combined.
- Arrange in a salad bowl, scatter the pistachios on top to garnish and serve immediately.
- My salad mix had a lot of radicchio in it which seemed to suit this salad perfectly.
- The pistachios are crushed in this salad for their bright green colour