This kale avocado salad is a tasty way to
detox full of super greens that help remove
toxins and carcinogens from the body, a
versatile side that you can serve with anything.
While detoxing happens naturally in our bodies super green foods such as kale aid in digestion, are excellent for bowel health and promote a healthy liver which also helps us detox.
This colourful salad is also ideal for helping you “eat a rainbow” as recommended by nutritionists, eating a wide variety of foods helps your body get all the essential nutrients it needs.
A hearty salad that is suitable for a variety of eating styles as it is gluten-free, low-carb, paleo, dairy-free and keto
LOW CARB SALAD WITH 5.1g NET CARBS
Need help with some serving ideas for your kale avocado salad?
Kale avocado salad is a great side dish but can also be made into a main dish just by adding your favourite protein.
As a side you may serve it along with:
To transform it into a dinner salad, simply add some:
- Grilled chicken tenders
- Seared lamb fillets
- Pan-fried salmon
- Grilled tofu
- Pulled pork
How to make this salad
1Massage your kale
Wash your kale leaves under cold running water to remove any dirt then either rip the leafy parts of the kale from the ribs or cut them off with a sharp knife and discard them.
Shred them and place them in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and a teaspoon of sea salt then gently rub the leaves together for approximately 3 minutes. Don’t overdo it as you don’t want your kale to turn to mush.
2Prep the rest of your veg
Wash your red cabbage and shred finely with a mandoline slicer or with a sharp knife. Then wash your dill, pat dry and chop finely. Wash, peel and remove the tops and ends of your carrots, cut into a fine julienne using a julienne peeler or with the julienne attachment on your mandoline/v-slicer. You could also grate the carrot but I just think the julienne looks a lot better.
Peel your avocado, remove the pit and cut into medium-sized chunks, add a squeeze of lemon juice to prevent browning.
3Make the avocado mayo
Place all the avocado cream ingredients in a mini food processor or small high-speed blender, season with salt and pepper. Blitz until smooth, if your mayo looks thick add some water to thin it out we want it to reach the consistency of thick mayonnaise.
4Putting your kale avocado salad together
Put all your ingredients in a large mixing bowl, season with sea salt and cracked black pepper, add the avocado mayo and mix well until all the vegetables are well coated with the dressing.
Arrange the salad in a large salad bowl, garnish with some dill leaves and serve.
Some tips for this salad
- You can prepare all your vegetables several hours in advance, leaving out the avocado and avocado mayo until you are ready to serve.
- A couple of days before you can shred your cabbage and julienne your carrots and place them in separate containers topped with cold water in your fridge. Make sure you strain them well before adding to your salad on the day otherwise your salad will become soggy.
- You can also prepare your kale by shredding it and placing it in a bowl with your olive oil, lemon juice and salt the day before. There will be no need to massage it as it will soften overnight.
- If you have squeezed a generous amount of lemon juice on your avocado this salad will keep for a day or two in your fridge.
- Avocado mayo will keep for approximately 3-4 days in your fridge, just make sure that you squeeze some extra lemon juice on top.
To meal prep this kale avocado salad for your lunches
- Make up your salad without the avocado and avocado mayo and place it in your containers.
- Add your avocado, with a generous squeeze of lemon juice on the day.
- Put your avocado mayo in a separate container to add and stir through your salad just before eating.
Would you like to try some more kale salads?
- Mandoline / V-Slicer or Food Processor
- Julienne Peeler
- Small Food Processor, High Speed or Bullet Blender
For the salad…
- 180 grams Kale (approximately ½ a bunch)
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps lemon juice (1 medium sized lemon)
- 150 grams red cabbage (approximately ¼ small head or 2 cups shredded)
- 150 grams carrots (approximately 2 medium carrots)
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsps fresh dill (chopped)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
For the avocado cream…
- 1 avocado (large)
- ¼ cup lemon juice (2-3 medium sized lemons)
- 3 tbsps avocado oil (you can also use olive oil)
- Wash your kale, remove the stalks and shred finely, then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Massage your kale until it is soft (approximately 3 minutes).
- Wash your cabbage remove the core and the outer leaves then thinly shred with a mandoline slicer or sharp knife.
- Wash, trim and peel your carrots then cut into a fine julienne. Wash, dry and finely chop your dill.
- Peel your avocado, remove the pit and cut into medium-sized chunks, and squeeze a generous amount of lemon juice on top.
- Place all the avocado cream ingredients in a mini food processor or small high-speed blender, season with salt and pepper. Blitz until smooth and thin it out if necessary with some water we want it to have the consistency of thick mayonnaise.
- Put all your ingredients in a large mixing bowl, season with sea salt and cracked black pepper, add the avocado mayo and mix well until all the vegetables are well coated with the dressing.
- Arrange the salad in a large salad bowl, garnish with some dill leaves and serve.