The delightful Smoked Paprika Dressing in this salad can double as a marinade for meats and poultry. But it was incredible with the pretty fanned avocado.
It would pair well with most meats, poultry and seafood. I served this pretty avocado salad with some chargrilled tuna steaks and it was a fantastic combination!
LOW CARB SALAD WITH 3.5 g NET CARBS
How to prepare your avocados for this recipe…
1Cut the avocado in half lengthwise around the pit, make sure you have control over the avocado and be careful with your fingers.
2Once cut, twist and separate the two halves.
3To remove the pit, fold a kitchen towel then use to securely hold the avocado half with the seed.
4Then, gently hack the knife blade into the pit, twist to remove the pit on the blade. Alternatively, you can use a spoon to remove the seed, but you may lose some of the flesh doing it this way.
5Then cut in slices by placing your peeled avocado half on your chopping board and then slicing lengthwise.
How to store your avocados…
Avocados should be stored at room temperature until they are ripe, you may be able to speed up the avocado ripening process by placing unripe avocados in a brown paper bag with an apple or banana for two to three days.
After an avocado has ripened you may store it in your fridge, otherwise, its flavour may be ruined.
You can store cut avocados by squeezing lemon juice on the cut flesh and keeping them covered in your fridge.
Avocado with Smoked Paprika Dressing
For the salad…
- 2 avocados
- ½ red capsicum (pepper)
- ½ small onion | diced finely
- ¼ cup coriander (cilantro) leaves | loosely packed
For the Smoked Paprika Vinaigrette…
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 4 tbsps olive oil | extra virgin
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Wash the capsicum, remove the core, seeds and membranes then finely dice.
- Remove the papery skin, tops and ends of the onion then finely dice.
- Peel the avocados and remove their seeds. Slice the avocados thinly and fan out onto a platter, scatter the diced capsicum, diced onion and coriander leaves.
- Place all the vinaigrette ingredients in a glass jar and shake until emulsified. Taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and serve immediately.
The video in this recipe is courtesy of The Raw Chef.