This Sumac Salad packs a huge hit of tart, lemony, almost vinegar-like flavour which makes it perfect to serve with lamb as it balances its fattiness.
Partners well with lamb, kebabs, kofta, pork chops or even barbecued chicken. A great summer salad especially for barbecues. We served this as a side to our lamb on the spit – divine!
LOW CARB SALAD WITH 7 g NET CARBS
For the salad…
- 500 grams cherry tomato medley
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers
- 1 red banana capsicum (peppers)
- ½ white onion
- 1 cup mint leaves (chopped)
- 1 cup parsley leaves (chopped)
For the Sumac dressing…
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1-2 tbsps lemon juice
- ½ tbsp sumac
- Pinch chilli powder (or more if you like things spicy)
- Wash your cherry tomatoes under cold running water, pat dry then cut in half. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. season with some sea salt.
- Wash and peel your cucumber, trim the ends and cut into dice. Transfer to your bowl.
- Wash your capsicum, remove the seeds and core and cut into dice. Transfer to your bowl.
- Remove the papery skin of your onion trim the ends and cut into dice. Transfer to your bowl.
- Add the chopped mint and parsley leaves to your bowl.
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a glass jar and shake until emulsified.
- Pour your dressing over your vegetables, season with salt and pepper. Toss until well combined, taste and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
- Arrange in a salad bowl, add a sprinkle of sumac on top to garnish. Serve and enjoy!
This video is courtesy of Serious Eats.